4.0 out of 5 stars Good but not yet Great!, 7 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Sonos PLAYBAR Soundbar and Wireless Speaker (Electronics)
I make no secret of the fact that I am a massive Sonos fan. I purchased my first ZP100 many years ago and have 4 of them along with a Connect and a Play 5 dotted around the house.

I was fairly skeptical about the Playbar having invested a reasonable amount of money in a dedicated 5.1 AV receiver. I was attracted to the concept of de-cabling my living room so purchased the Playbar with the Sub and the two Play 3's.(in for a penny in for a pound!)

Set up was simple as always but please remember that I already have existing Sonos Kit. It was a case of plugging it in, a quick software update and then running through the set up process. The Sky HD remote set up worked fine so I can control the volume via the Sky remote.

I already knew that my TV would probably not pass Dolby Digital through the optical out. (The default set up is to run everything to your TV and then run a single optical cable to the Playbar). Even if it did, I did not want to run four individual HDMI cables to the TV as it is wall mounted and I only currently one attached to it. The solution for me was the Octava HD41-ARC-UK - 4x1 HDMI ARC + Digital Audio switch (sold by Amazon). I now have my Apple TV, Blu Ray, Popcorn, Sky HD box running into the Octavia box with a single optical to the Playbar and the HDMI to the TV. On that basis the first thing to point out is that I do not have too much change from £2,000.

In terms of the sound quality I am impressed. I am not using the Playbar for music but when paired with the sub it would easily fill the avergae living room. I prefer however to use the two Play 3's with the Sub although this does involve removing them from the 5.1 set up and linking them back together. Hopefully the next software update will address this and it will be easier to set up the system for either music use or TV use.

Negatives.
No DTS! This is not a problem with Sky HD or Apple TV but some of my Blu Rays have no sound through the Playbar. I am still messing around with the settings on the Blu Ray player as there may be an option to down convert to DD5.1 but at the moment (as far as I can see) the soundtracks seem to be in DTS HD MA (?) with the option of DTS. Neither of these are supported by the Playbar therefore, no sound. I notice that on the asksonos forum where you can request future enhancements the request for DTS support is under consideration so this may be included with a software update later.

Positives
No wires! I have really enjoyed removing cables and speaker wires.
Good Sound quality. I am not sure it is quote as good as my dedicated 5.1 AV system which when you include the sub and the Play 3's is of a comparable price.
Simplicity. If you have existing Sonos gear then set up could not be easier.

Overall
Four stars. One dropped for no DTS support and one for price. Someone has commented on a review for the Sonos Sub that perhaps the price will drop in a few months time. Unlikely I would suggest when you consider that the original ZP100's are still selling for £300 + on auction sites.

[Add comment]