1.0 out of 5 stars Dreadful, 3 Jun. 2009
This review is from: Pop (Audio CD)
Dreadful. The depths to which this over-rated band have stooped are reached and even exceeded in this criminally bad album. Not that they haven't done some good stuff,

October 8/10
Zooropa 1/10
Achtung Baby 1/10
Pop 0/10

See the decline??
This album fails in its attempt to meld dance music with guitar lead rock. The result? A racket of unfathomable proportions.

Please, U2, just go away!!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 12 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 13 Jul 2009 06:10:39 BDT
how about this, just stop listening and whining. your album listing is incorrect in it's order and your pathetic attempts at a numbered review are laughable. Understandable, everybody has their own opinions but stop trying so hard to make a statement with your sad little tripe.

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Jul 2009 18:52:00 BDT
Last edited by the author on 22 Sep 2011 18:21:22 BDT
Paul

This is an open forum for people to express opinions about artists and their products and so that is what I have done. However I am more than willing to address each of your points (which incidently have less to do with either the artist or the product than my original post)

1. "how about this, just stop listening and whining" (firstly, the appalling punctuation, all sentences begin with a capital letter and since this is a question, it requires a question mark at the end of it!) As to the gist of your point, even you I am sure would be unable to express any opinion, even if in your wise eyes it constitutes a whine without actually listening to the material so that is rather a silly suggestion.
2. "your album listing is incorrect in it's order" (firstly, the appalling punctuation- you should have started with a capital letter and there is no apostrophe in this case for the word its!) And to your point, it is not meant to be a chronological list and nor does it claim to be. This smacks rather of fumbling for a criticism my friend.
3. "your pathetic attempts at a numbered review are laughable (actually well punctuated here, very well done!). Your point is... well what is your point other than you don't agree with me? This is hardly a cause for levity or humour. Might I suggest you invest in the box set of Fawlty Towers or watch Trading Places, those really are quite funny, much more so than a rating with which you don't agree, but I suppose to each their own!! And it's hardly a pathetic attempt since it is actually a numbered review;- albeit one which you don't agree with but is still undeniably a completed numbered review insofar as it represents the albums by U2 of which I have sufficient knowledge to comment. Attempts by contrast are by their definition not completed!
4. "Understandable, everybody has their own opinions" (Your phrasing is a little poor) I agree, so allow me to express mine!
5 "stop trying so hard to make a statement with your sad little tripe." (more excellent punctuation!) However I must protest! Far from trying too hard, it really was no effort at all and once again, in an attempt to lend weight to your criticism you resort to hyperbole simply to say you don't agree.

You really must get more clued up on this review thing. Here are a few pointers
1. Say why you disagree with what I have written.
2. Offer an alternative point of view
3. Don't be so critical simply because you don't agree.

Kindest Regards

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Sep 2009 17:21:01 BDT
Last edited by the author on 18 Sep 2009 17:24:00 BDT
L J Thomson says:
You're both doing very little to further the criticism of U2 or this album in particular. Can you see that I can write a sentence and punctuate it correctly?

I think the problem with the review is that the "reviewer" hasn't got a clue what he's talking about and simply applies a subjective number rating to each album and then proceeds to claim that this proves that U2 is in a state of perpetual disintegration by asking us "See the decline?". By the way, that is not a sentence either. It should read: Do you see the decline?

Moving back to U2, I disagree that the early albums were even any good, let alone great and deserving a 10/10. The Joshua Tree is undeniably one of its peaks (anyone who denies this must be very naive or belligerent or possibly both?) as it was a huge critical and commercial success and brought the band to the mainstream whilst not sacrificing its inherent qualities for the mass market. I believe Achtung Baby is its best album (U2 is the name of a GROUP, after all, and not a person whilst we're being pedantic about such matters) as U2 modernised its sound by integrating European dance and electronic sounds into it AND all whilst steadily building on the success of the previous albums. Since then, it has definitely been a rocky road. I remember POP being called "their best album to date" by a Sunday newspaper. Each album since POP has also been championed as a "return to form" according to someone somewhere.

Please remember ALL reviews are highly subjective and to simply add a number rating to each album without the slightest justification for it and then to expect everyone else to agree with your 'proof' that the band have only slid downwards, is about as pompous and ridiculous as your incessant school master lecturing to another commentator!

By the way, I rarely take any notice of anyone who insists on putting a '!' at the end of EVERY sentence either.

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Oct 2009 18:50:41 BDT
Last edited by the author on 22 Sep 2011 18:20:57 BDT
Hi Napolean
Thanks for taking the time to reply. I do think you're being a bit harsh you perhaps won't be surprised to hear. Giving a mark out of 10 is commonplace in reviews for CDs, films and music. It's a simple and easily quantifiable way of comparing one product to others. At no point however do I claim it is scientific, accurate or 'proof' of anything. By definition, the fact that I had written the marks down show that it is simply my opinion of the comparable output by U2 and the place of "Pop" in what I feel is their decline. The reason why I haven't given The Joshua Tree 10 out of 10 is not because I am naive, beligerent or both but that I simply don't think it's as good as you clearly do. At least my original review falls short of insulting those who don't agree with my points. And where in my review does it say that I expect anyone to else to agree as you accuse me of? If my giving a rating to CDs is, as you put it, pompous and ridiculous, then surely you calling anyone who doesn't agree with you naive, beligerent or both must at least be pompous and ridiculous if not downright rude and offensive.

I must also protest that you you claim that my ratings are without the slightest justification! I have listened to the albums, I own most of them and have heard them many times. I have judged the content as I see it and have given them my opinion. I would argue that this IS at least "the slightest justification" for expressing an opinion.

Finally, who cares who you do or do not take any notice of?

Regards

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Oct 2009 16:58:03 GMT
Last edited by the author on 26 Oct 2009 16:59:45 GMT
L J Thomson says:
I really think you should read what I said a little more carefully. First off, you never made any attempt to say why any album was as bad as you obviously think it is. You simply applied your own subjective 'rating' using a notional numerical value. I do appreciate that others might use this simplistic system as well but it's usually in a summary which follows the main review ie a review which is very positive and explains why, ends with a 9/10. You skipped the review and just put in the numbers. NOW, that alone might have been useful to some readers BUT you then use the number ratings as justification for your already weak argument that U2 has slid downhill. I'm sorry but that just makes no sense to me at all.

Contrary to what you've read into my little reposte to your very unnecessary attack on a previous commentator (who happens to also disagree with you), I do not myself believe that Joshua Tree is all that great. However, I bow to popular opinion on this because the impact of the album critically, commercially and influentially is well beyond any criticism I could throw at it. That is what I meant; there comes a time when one man's opinion ceases to matter a jot. We are all able to disagree and have different opinions but when something gets as huge as Joshua Tree, it slips into the realm of the 'great' and there is nothing people like us can do but agree to go along with it, irrespective of our own opinions of it. It's like criticising The Beatles today; what's the flippin' point? It's futile and pointless.

Who cares what I take notice of? Well, I'm guessing you do for a start?

Posted on 17 Aug 2011 17:18:03 BDT
[Deleted by the author on 1 Oct 2011 17:26:12 BDT]

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Sep 2011 18:15:25 BDT
Last edited by the author on 22 Sep 2011 18:18:35 BDT
Well, Mr Opcat,

Thanks for getting straight to the point, I do hate long waits.

Now I too will get straight to the point. You accuse me of being subjective, well, unless you claim to write on behalf of anyone else, which I don't, reviews are subjective so in case there is any doubt, my reviews, and most of the others on this or any other review website, are by virtue of being a personal response, subjective!

And so as such, it is my opinion. I do not like this album, I did like some of U2's earlier, output but I feel that the quality of their music has declined, I have listened to this album (several times) which is why I know I do not like it. Now if this, in your eyes makes me moronic or vitriolic I suppose I will just have to live with that as best I can. I do wonder what your comment here, or any of the others dotted about on this website which you have made about me personally (as opposed to my reviews) which are rife with insult and personal attack add to the debates about the products. Forgive me for saying so, but it is beginning to look like you are being critical of me and insulting for the sake of it (which is coming close to what I'd call moronic and vitriolic)

Finally, I'm not sure that a reviewer needs any other reason to be critical of a product other than the obvious fact that they don't like it. I'm sorry if you do like this album, but I don't.

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Sep 2011 16:00:56 BDT

HTDAAB 6/10
NLOTTH 5/10

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Jul 2012 19:07:59 BDT
Labsmgr9 says:
That's very generous to rattle and hum.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›