4.0 out of 5 stars Device works fine for me - no problems yet!, 24 Jun 2013
This review is from: WD TV Play Media Player (Accessory)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Firstly I must say that the physical set up of the wdtv Media Player is really simple. Plug a HDMI Cable into the back and the mains in and you are set to go. Plug in a Hard disk drive with all of your favourite films, music and pics on and they are at your disposal through the tv also.

The set up for internet connection wirelessly is simple also - it detects your router so just punch in your security password and you can get set immediately.

It has a number of pre-installed things like Youtube, BBC i-player, Netflix etc - all worked perfectly well. I had absolutely none of the problems any of the other reviewers have had with glitches with this. My TV is in the same room as my router so maybe this is the reason? I watched a number of programmes on i-player and a few videos on Youtube and there was no delay of the action or blockiness or anything untoward.

I then went onto my storage device which is a 1TB hard drive. I watched a few programmes on this - an mp4 file, a few mkv files and some avi files - viewed a few jpegs and listened to some mp3 tracks. No problem with any of these at all.

The only problem I did encounter was at first my device would not "pause" a film but this only happened on one particular film so it may be more to do with a slightly corrupt file than any problem with the device.

This is my third media player so I was interested to see how it rated in comparison. My last one did not have the wireless internet connection or the access to the apps (iPlayer etc) through the device so these are all bonuses to me (though I do have other ways to view all of these through my tv it's still a nice feature). I like the "front screen" - others I have used have just had a black background.

All in all a good device - it does what I want it to when I want it to. I've only been playing with it for a few days though and if I have any problems to report I will furnish you with an update.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 27 Dec 2013 09:26:14 GMT
Why not 5* then?

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Dec 2013 11:25:38 GMT
Uncle Barbar says:
Hi Richard Mitchell,
Reason for 4 rather than 5 stars?...
Because it intermittently doesn't pause and I have had issues with playing some larger mkv files. All in all it's a good machine with these small flaws.
Oh also - it doesn't use the jpegs you have on the device as little icons for the films (unlike other media players)
Another flaw I have had recently is that it will not play the sound with films that have DTS sound - you have to convert the sound in them (if you know how to do that). Again - other media players do not have this problem.
Regards,
Uncle Barbar

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Dec 2013 12:10:40 GMT
A. Sharma says:
Hi,

Just to confirm, was your 1tb storage a NAS drive? I'm looking to use this to stream mp4/mkv's - some large with DTS audio.

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Dec 2013 17:18:37 GMT
Uncle Barbar says:
Hi A. Sharma,
Erm... not sure about that - I'll have to look it up... erm it says that my 1TB HD is NTFS...

No it will NOT play DTS audio (see my other answer above). Not the one I have anyway. It specifically comes up and tells you with a little message that it cannot play DTS Audio.

Regards,

Andy
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.6 out of 5 stars (216 customer reviews)

Out of stock