3.0 out of 5 stars Great discs, awful packaging., 2 Jun. 2011
This review is from: Star Trek: The Original Series - The Full Journey [Blu-ray] [1966] [Region Free] (Blu-ray)
This Blu-ray box set gathers up all of the previously-released three classic original series of Star Trek. I'm not going to go into the episodes themselves, but this is excellent TV and the show is as exciting to watch now as I'm sure it was when initially broadcast.

The picture quality on the discs themselves is amazing, with the restoration team going right back to the original negatives in order to get these episodes looking as good as they possibly can. They've also replaced many of the now-dated effects shots with new, computer-generated inserts, but have wisely given the choice to watch the episodes themselves as originally broadcast, with the classic effects shots.

So, if I were to review the discs themselves, I would give a full 5-stars, as this really is an excellent example of how to properly release a classic television series on Blu-ray. However, the packaging is shocking, and for that I'm taking off two stars.

The box itself is the same size as a standard DVD case when lay on its side, and about three standard DVD cases thick. The lid lifts off to reveal 3 cardboard packs, one for each season. These individual packs contain a few nice photos, and a full index of episodes and "additional data" found on the discs. However, the discs themselves are housed in cardboard insets cut into the pack. When I initially opened mine, to my dismay all of the discs fell out. If this was a budget set, I would be slightly more forgiving, however the price of this box set is the same as buying the individual sets already released. Though it doesn't take up much space on the shelf, some thought really should have been given to the longevity of the set. I can't see the Blu-ray discs standing up to being taken in and out of the slips very often - a bit of plastic really wouldn't have been too much to ask for would it?

As I said in the title, this is an excellent series, and is good for those with limited shelf-space, but I can't recommend the cheap cardboard packaging, and that's where this set really lets itself down.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 12 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 25 Aug 2011 15:10:41 BDT
David says:
Excellent review - I couldn't agree with you more, I hate the cardboard packaging (on any dvd set) it's cheap and is prone to damage. A friend of mine purchased this set and some of his disks were loose too. As for me, I think I will stick to the individual season sets with the plastic amary style cases.

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Aug 2011 13:17:41 BDT
T Everson says:
Thanks for the comment. Yeah I'd definately stick with the plastic cases, I think the only reason to get this set over those ones is if you can get it much cheaper than the individual sets, which, looking around, there seems to be no chance of.

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Nov 2011 08:13:12 GMT
Marcel says:
Thanks for the review, won't be buying this package!

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Nov 2011 07:07:05 GMT
dido says:
Mmm yeah, me too... thanks Thomas!

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Dec 2011 19:33:54 GMT
This is far cheaper now than buying them individually. I agree that plastic packaging would be better, but have you ever tried scratching a Blu-ray disc? I guess the answer is no, and neither have I... it's not the sort of thing one goes around doing. However, I do know they can stand up to wire wool abrasion quite easily and there are many videos demonstrating their ability in scratch proofing. The original prototype of Blu-ray was a diskette... an optical disk housed in plastic to prevent scratches, as the data layer is so near the top, it is imperitive they remain scratch free. But this plastic housing presented many problems, so they went back the drawing board and produced a diamond like layer that is damn difficult to scratch. I hate cardboard packaging myself, but this is born from years of scratched DVD's. However, rest assured, BD's won't scratch by cardboard alone.

And in these tough times, it is also wise to take the cheaper option.

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Dec 2011 19:51:23 GMT
T Everson says:
Yeah it's an interesting point. Bearing in mind that this was £150 when I wrote the review, which was an awful lot of money for something made out of cardboard. For the £90 it's going for now, it's far more reasonable. I've watched the episodes loads as well, and there are still no visible scratches on the disc, and certainly no playback problems. Another good thing about the set is it fits in well with the rereleases of Next Generation, Deep Space Nine etc. (even if they are only DVDs), and looks pretty good on the shelf. I still stand by my original review because of the ridiculous price it was then going for, but you could probably add another star on when considering the recent price drops.

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Dec 2011 20:49:13 GMT
Last edited by the author on 6 Dec 2011 20:51:11 GMT
Yeah, agreed. They have always ripped us off for Trek. Remember when the UK plastic sandwich box type sets cost £84.99 per season on DVD? It was nuts. That's how I justified paying the £90 for this complete set, as it is just £5 more for the entire TOS series in HD than it was for a single season on DVD a small few years ago, but yeah... I appreciate your review was written at a higher price point.

Can I ask your thoughts on seasons 2 & 3 on BD in comparison to season 1 as I'm still waiting for mine to come? I have heard that they don't quite shine as much as the first season (but not due to a poor transfer or remastering job, rather a budget slash back in the days of filming). Do seasons 2 and 3 still look good to you? I have read they're still great... just not quite up to season 1. Thanks for your input.

Oh, look out for the taster Blu-ray of TNG that releases in January... called 'The Next Level'. It has the entire Encounter at Farpoint, Inner Light and another episode that has temporarily escaped me. It's only £8.99 to pre-order here, and a pound cheaper at Playdotcom. It's a bargain... and will give us a nice tease until later in 2012 when they release the full series on Blu (or they release the entire first season, not too sure on the release schedule, all I know is they're releasing later next year)

Cheers.

Posted on 8 Dec 2011 00:37:14 GMT
I am in the United States and the only Blu-rays we have over here are if you purchase each season by itself. These seasons by themselves here in the USA look like the season by themselves in the UK. Anyways I like the way this Blu-ray box set off all 3 seasons look. I have always had good luck with tv shows on dvd that are packed like this box set is so I think I will give this a try.

Anyways my 2 questions are
1. What studio in the UK makes these box set in case I need to contact them?
2. What all extra do you get in this box that you would not get if you purchased the 3 seasons by themselves in either the UK or USA? I think you listed some photos and stuff.

Thanks.

In reply to an earlier post on 12 Jan 2012 20:46:16 GMT
They're released by CBS Paramount UK I think. I don't have mind to hand but it had the paramountpictures.co.uk website on somewhere on the packing I'm sure, and you get all the same extras as on the individual seasons. It's just a repack... consisting of all three seasons in the one box.

I usually hate box sets packed like this as it can scratch DVD's easily, but you don't have the same problem with Blu-ray... as they are hard coated.

Posted on 21 Dec 2012 17:57:29 GMT
Thanks for the report. I probably would have bought this but as many people report the awful cardboard packaging I won't be buying it now.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›