5.0 out of 5 stars An absolute Joy..., 3 Oct 2008
This review is from: WALL-E (2 Disc Special Edition with Slinky, Exclusive to Amazon.co.uk) [DVD] (DVD)
Ladies and Gentlemen, this is a classic.

Welcome to the world of Wall-e (Waste Allocation Lifter Earth-Class) the loveable robot. The plot (far from weak) circles around the sole surviving example of a machine deployed to clear the planet of the mess that mankind has made of it, whilst the human race left the planet with a plan to return once the mess was gone. This plan has however failed leaving Wall-e to continue with the task on his own. A rubbish clearing robot with caterpillar tracks for feet that lives in a container collecting human artefacts, is hardly the profile of a hero to save the world but then I guess that is the point.

Speaking as somebody who doesn't consider themselves a tree hugger, I can see how the ecological message aspects of this film may rub some people up the wrong way, but the subtle messages about corporate domination and pollution throughout this film make their point well, and in my view this part of the film was very good.

Technically the animation is in a word stunning. I had to remind myself at times that I was watching animation the quality is that good. Wall-e surpasses any other animated film I have seen in this regard.

It is easy to dismiss this film as a film for children, but honestly Wall-e entertained and moved me in ways that I didn't expect, and my Partner was in tears at the end with a classic Disney ending. This for me is film of the year 2008. Not much in this or any other genre has come close.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 20 Nov 2008 11:36:28 GMT
Last edited by the author on 20 Nov 2008 11:36:52 GMT
D. Cassar says:
I do hate to be a pedant but unfortunately I can't help myself! WALL-e actually stands for Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class. Sorry! Good review though! I whole heartedly agree! I think that all pixar films are as much for the adults as the kids, I think this one was more grown up than previous ones though, hence the poor reviews from some parents on this item.

Posted on 9 Feb 2010 23:15:17 GMT
John Hunt says:
I particularly agree about the difficult to believe it was animation comment. I liked the camera picking up the sun and focusing in on the foreground putting the background out of focus which added a lot of realism. The extra BURN-E is very good as well, it's been shown as a short on the Disney Cinemagic Channel.

Posted on 22 Dec 2012 15:55:22 GMT
Last edited by the author on 22 Dec 2012 15:55:57 GMT
Rob C. says:
I agree with this review.

Films like this show that it is possible to create a story that suits children of all ages. I watched it with one of my children, aged 25. We both loved it.

It has a slow (not boring) start with no dialogue to begin with, which may not suit those more comfortable with Computer War/Action Games. This is no 'Tom & Jerry'.

But that quality I found enchanting, as I did the underlying story about love against adversity.

Posted on 6 Jan 2013 11:46:41 GMT
"I can see how the ecological message aspects of this film may rub some people up the wrong way..."

Those who are rubbed the wrong way by ecological messages rub ME the wrong way. The planet would be better off without them all! :)
‹ Previous 1 Next ›