4.0 out of 5 stars Like an iPad, but mini...., 8 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Apple iPad Mini - Black (16GB, Wifi) (Personal Computers)
I had been hoping that apple would release something like this for some time now - so was really happy when my family chipped in and bought be one for Christmas (lucky boy!!!).

In simple terms, this is just an iPad but smaller, and lighter. It does more or less everything that you can do on an ipad (we also have an iPad 2 in our household) but is more portable.

If portability is not really an issue (ie you are happy to carry the bigger one with you when out and about, or would always leave it at home - then I would probably plump for the larger one (though there is also the difference in price to factor in - the mini is cheaper than even than a new iPad 2, which are still available).

I cycle to and from work every day, so this fits in my bag nicely and is light as a feather. That said, I have seen reviews that say you can hold it comfortably in one hand (to read a book etc). I'm not so sure about this - I also have a kindle (a standard black and white one) which I can hold easily between finger and thumb for ling-ish periods. With the iPad Mini, I find it much more comfortable to use two hands still - but even with two it is far more comfortable to hold for longer than then iPad.

I also find that typing is really easy when holding it with two hands and using thumbs - especially in portrait orientation.

Looks-wise, I have no complaints. It does have the usual apple build quality.

Obviously, it would be nice if the price was more competative with other tablets (Google nexus 7 for example) - but if like me, you have other apple products already they work seamlessly together due to iCloud and airplay on apple TV. If you don't use other apple products, then I would still recommend this - but would definitely be looking at the other options/competitors too (Google Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD, Nook) as they all offer similar functionality, for less money but with various pro's and cons.

If it was cheaper (£269 from Apple directly) and also had a higher resolution screen (doesn't have Apple's flagship "Retina Display") I would have given this 5 stars - I'm happy enough with the display, but if/when they release a version with a better screen, I know I'm going to feel short-changed.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]