1.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointing!, 17 Oct 2012
This review is from: The Frantisek Vlacil Collection (4 discs) [DVD] [1967] (DVD)
These films have some of the worst subtitles that I have ever come across! They are huge and jagged affairs that cover approximately 25% of the image, and, despite their size, are rather difficult to read, which ruin the films entirely! Very poor attention to detail from a company that claims otherwise! Very shoddy indeed! These films deserve much better treatment.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 4 Nov 2012 10:32:09 GMT
MelAus says:
Would be good to get some further comments re your comments on the subtitling, as this is holding me off purchasing this product.

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Nov 2012 13:12:16 GMT
What would like to know?

I've had a quick look at all four films again, and can only re-state my previous comments regarding the subtitles, something that I didn't previously notice is the picture quality (probably because I was put off by the subtitles): It's not that great either! I have a good 40" TV, a decent DVD player and a PS3, and these DVDs don't upscale to well on either device, especially the black and white films, or where there is stark contrast, you can see an edge, or halo around everything.

I understand that these are old films but, in my opinion, these transfers are unacceptable. It has put me off buying any other Second Run DVD, which is a shame as they produce some interesting looking discs.

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Nov 2012 22:27:16 GMT
MelAus says:
Okay, thanks for that.
I have a V good quality projection system onto an 8 foot wide screen so pix quality is right up there with media. I also worked in TV for 40 years, where tech quality was part of my job, so I think this release in question would not be on my 'list'!

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Nov 2012 15:59:12 GMT
Glad to be of assistance. Looking at your set-up, and occupation, I would guess that, you certainly would not be happy with these discs.

All the best, Mark.

Posted on 17 Jan 2014 03:10:58 GMT
K. Vaarala says:
Since I have found Mr. Streets dvd/bluray comments (tecnichal or otherwise) to some extent unreliable, here is dvdbeaver.com's review of tecnichal aspects:

Subtitles seems to me quite standard size.

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Jan 2014 09:17:24 GMT
K. Vaarala, I'm not a professional reviewer and can only give my honest opinion, but I will stand by what I have said. The images provided on DVD Beaver are not 1080p and as such show the picture quality in a somewhat kinder light, which is especially noticable when the image shows subtitles [which isn't very often!], which are very jarring, over large and off putting. I have been very critical as these are great films and, in my opinion, need a better transfer and more restoration la Criterion.

When you say tat my comments are unreliable are you talking about ALL my reviews. or just the ones pertaining to this boxset?
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.0 out of 5 stars (2 customer reviews)

24.99