5.0 out of 5 stars Better than you can ever imagine!, 11 Oct 2013
This review is from: Doctor Who - The Web of Fear [DVD] (DVD)
Like many fans of Doctor Who, I have waited with bated breath this week for the announcement of exactly which episodes of WHO were back at the Beeb. The Web of Fear has always been at the top of my list of episodes that I wanted to see, so to discover (admittedly before the embargo was lifted at midnight) that all bar one of these episodes was recovered was the biggest thrill I think I have ever experienced (and I've had a few!!!)
Naturally I immediately headed to iTunes at a minute after midnight and downloaded all 6 eps of Web as well as all 6 eps of The Enemy of the World, and believe me when this hits the DVD release day you will not be disappointed.
The remastering is phenomenal - the picture is crystal clear, the sound is sharp and clear, and the action is truly wonderous to behold.
Pat, Fraser & Deborah are on sparkling form, and the supporting cast are simply fantastic.
But for me, a huge reason I had to see this story was for the arrival of a certain Colonel Lethbridge-Stewart. I had the privilege of meeting Nick Courtney on many occasions - and getting very drunk with him on most of them. With his performance here in Web you can totally understand why he was asked back to reprise the role the following season in The Invasion.
I'm not going to waffle on - I'm just going to suggest you get this ASAP. Then sit back, relax, and marvel at how brilliant 60's Doctor Who was and cross your fingers that there are more missing episodes on their way back home................

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 24 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 11 Oct 2013 10:31:07 BDT
Daniel says:
Another pointless review put on Amazon before the DVD has been released! If you want to review your iTunes download then leave feedback on iTunes and not on Amazon! I will make my own mind up when to buy this DVD release once i have read reviews from people who have actually bought and watched the DVD release.

Posted on 11 Oct 2013 11:33:27 BDT
M. Kidger says:
Of all the Doctor Who stories that I watched back in the 1960s, this was the one that made the biggest impact on me. I remember seeing it as an eight year old and being terrified by it, but always wanting to watch. I am delighted that this is one of the series to be recovered. The Yeti are one of the few classic enemies not to make a return... I wonder if one is due now that The Great Intelligence is back with a vengeance.

Posted on 11 Oct 2013 13:14:13 BDT
Can't wait for the DVD release next year! How sad Nicholas Courtney is no longer with us to provide commentary on his debut appearance.

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Oct 2013 13:31:48 BDT
Jeez, do you think the version on the DVD will be any different?

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Oct 2013 14:02:28 BDT
Joey says:
yeah it must be a laugh a minute in that first guy's household....!!

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Oct 2013 15:37:49 BDT
Last edited by the author on 11 Oct 2013 15:38:55 BDT
1st post = what a pointless comment of a worthwhile review. How different would the DVD release be? If anything, it would only be better if included with extras and such. I've watched it and it looks great. That's 2 first-hand recommendations so just buy it when it comes out. Idiot.

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Oct 2013 16:08:41 BDT
Possibly - perhaps an animated episode 3? Would love to see it.

Posted on 11 Oct 2013 18:08:39 BDT
i suspect the delay on the web of fear dvd release will be the excellent cosgrove hall animating the missing episode!

Posted on 11 Oct 2013 18:23:18 BDT
Helena says:
Oh wow! Cool! So it wasn't a hoax, then lol, I am a big fan of Dr Who myself especially David Tennant, but I really would love to see all the old episodes too, so this news is fantastic!

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Oct 2013 19:19:05 BDT
Last edited by the author on 11 Oct 2013 19:19:22 BDT
J. Martin says:
I hate to put a downer on things, but Cosgrove Hall closed down 5 years ago. If Episode 3 is animated then it'll be by another studio, the same as with The Reign of Terror, The Ice Warriors and The Tenth Planet.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.5 out of 5 stars (100 customer reviews)

£19.99 £7.50