5.0 out of 5 stars A Definitive Slice of Bolan, 10 Mar 2004
This review is from: Bolan Boogie (Audio CD)
The first 'proper' album I ever heard, although I didn't personally own a copy until a good few years later. Actually a compilation, (something I didn't, in my youthful enthusiasm, realise at the time,) Bolan Boogie features all of T. Rex's pre-EMI hits, plus a liberal sprinkling of other tracks from the Fly era. Over 30 years later this is still my favourite Bolan album, not due to nostalgia but because of the varied selection of excellent songs.
I adored the fragile charm of the more acoustic Tyrannosaurus Rex, and I loved the in-your-face strut of T. Rex at the height of their glam-rock fame, so inevitably the transition period between the two extremes provides a rich vein of entertainment for me. This album provides a near perfect snapshot of this stage of Bolan's evolution. As well Ride A White Swan/Hot Love/Get It On/Jeepster, there are such gems as Raw Ramp, Woodland Rock and (for my money) the definitive version of Eddie Cochran's Summertime Blues. If I could only keep one Bolan artefact from my collection then this would be the one. Definitely.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 28 Mar 2014 23:06:59 GMT
Like Steve, it was years before I realized that Bolan Boogie was a compilation album spreading several years and several Bolan albums, but interestingly it sounds as if it is all supposed to belong together. Several of Marc's albums are worth five stars and no mistake, but I you were going off to a desert island and were only allowed one it would have to be Bolan Boogie.

Posted on 29 Jul 2014 22:37:53 BDT
Last edited by the author on 29 Jul 2014 22:51:23 BDT
bomberboy8 says:
Totally agree with you, great album of Bolan's work when musically He was at His peak. You can't beat late Tyrannosaurus and early T Rex material all excellent music. I would put Electric Warrior first though as it's always been my favourite album for over 40yrs now but this comes a close second and is better than Slider or Tanx although I love both those albums as well. I've noticed some people have given this album low scores and some people have given Zinc Alloy, Zip Gun, Dragon and Dandy 4 and 5 stars.

Well being a die hard Bolan fan I own all His albums but imo His last four albums are way below the standard of His previous work ( Zinc Alloy and Zip Gun being pretty bad if I'm honest ) and I don't for the life of me know how real T Rex fans can rate them anywhere near as good as this album or any of His earlier work before them last four albums.

As good as Slider is the signs that He'd past His peak were starting to show, I think He got a bit carried away with himself being the big pop star and took His eye off the ball. From Slider onwards His work was never as good imo. And with regards to singles how can you compare things like London Boys, Truck on tyke, Zip Gun Boogie, Light of love and Dreamy lady to White Swan, Hot Love, Get it on, Jeepster and Telegram Sam, there's just no comparison.

ps Your right about Summertime Blues, awesome track, should of been a single.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.2 out of 5 stars (12 customer reviews)

Reviewer