4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent cheap Satnav, 16 May 2008
This review is from: Binatone Carrera X350 Satellite Navigation System With UK/ROI Mapping (Electronics)
I must admit that when I bought this I was a little sceptical about whether it would work successfully or not given that it was not a well known make (in the field of satnavs anyway) and it was the cheapest I could find. But on the budget I had it was the only one I could afford and I was also encouraged by the reviews I had read.

Anyway, having had the unit for a good five months now I can honestly say I wouldn't be without it - and it has been affectionately renamed 'Beryl'!

It's easy to use with a touch screen, the menus are simple to follow and reasonably quick to find your route and destination. Some people have said it is slow but I find it fine if you set it up and leave it to calculate your route while you sort everything out in the car and by the time you've done that it is ready to go.

Having used my Mum's Garmin satnav and fallen out with it over the extremely late instructions many times I was and still am very impressed by the early instructions given by this Binatone one... sometimes a mile in advance of you needing to do something so it's easy to prepare and be in the right lane! It is also quick to reroute you if you go wrong and has a handy feature of you being able to set it to find a different route for up to 5 miles (I think) should you hit traffic.

However, I would also point out that on my first trip it took an age to work out where I was (the default being Surrey somewhere and I'm in Birmingham!) and as a consequence thought I was on completely different roads to what I was. I found it better if you just set it to 'map' mode and go for a short drive when you first get it so it can work out where you are and it should be fine getting you to places after that.

Also to point out would be that in the instructions it says you can activate speed camera detection on the unit itself - actually I found you have to download it from their website, but it's free so that's only a minor thing. Only problem is that it just shows you the cameras onscreen rather than warning you that you are approaching one!

Overall I'm very impressed with the X350 and would certainly recommend it. I cracked the screen on mine and had to send it off to be repaired, but a word for Binatone themselves, their customer service was excellent and I had it back in less than two weeks having only had to pay to post it to them in the first place!

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]