5.0 out of 5 stars When all that is left is goodbye, 8 May 2012
This review is from: Siege (as the World Dies, Book Three) (Paperback)
If you are reading this review then it is likely that you have already read "The first Days" and "Fighting to survive" the first two books in this zombie trilogy, if you haven't then please go and read them now!

Ok, let me start by saying WOW!!! I was worried going into this book, it seems quite frequently that the first couple of books will be amazing and then the 3rd one will be a huge let down, it has happened to me before but not this time. Thankyou muchly Rhiannon, this book was one hell of a zombietastic ride that practically gave me anxiety induced palpitations at several points. At the end, in the words of Bill "I really need a beer"

Seige starts off pretty much as Fighting to Survive ended, the fort continue to grow, the survivors are expanding the fort and going out into the deadlands for suplies. Calhoun is still bonkers, Katie gets more pregnant by the day and Jenni, well, she's still Loca. I really don't want to go into the specifics of the plot as that would spoil your fun. What I will say is we FIALLY learn the identity of the vigilante, the fort faces a few of its most difficult challenges to date and my lots of little loose ends get tied up nicely. Oh and the death count is really high.

There were parts of this book that I could hardly stand to read. Rhiannon builds suspense like no other author I have yet read, I'm sat of my bed and had to keep stopping and taking stock of what was happening before picking the book back up again. Some parts were so incredibly sad that I cried and at times I hated the author for doing these things to these people I have really grown to care about. No one is safe. I spent the whole book thinking Oh god, who's next???

I have a few minor gripes, some of the actions of some characters did not sit well with me, seemed out of character and were difficult to understand. This book could have easily been split into two books and the last 3rd fleshed out a bit so to speak! The events at the mall were so tense and scary and alot of pages dedicated to it and it worked so well that the final battle seemed a tad rushed. Its a small gripe, and I feel bad for mentioning it because I LOVED this book. We're never happy are we!??!

Ok back to how amazing it is. Once again the authors characterisation is second to none and she once again makes these people real. She has tackled the threat of the dead, and the threat of bandits, this time she tackles the threat from within the fort. As expected in a world that is being rebuilt and making new rules, trying to find their way there are going to be a lot of social issues amongst the people living at the fort. She deals with hostile takeovers, religious extremism, the vigilante, jealousy and murder. This is what makes this novel so real, in this new world they would have these problems.

In summary, this is excellent, it ties up the trilogy nicely (I quite liked the ghost aspect!) I was satisfied with how it ended and I imagine I will continue to think about the inhabitants of the fort, wondering how they are doing. Maybe one day the author will discover a new story of the fort that needs to be told, so I can find out how the future works out for them. If not I will make it up for myself.

At the end the author says "Its been one hell of a ride with Jenni and Katie, I hope you enjoyed it as much as I did" The answer is yes I did and I thank you.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]