5.0 out of 5 stars From a BT customer, great, 7 Jan 2011
This review is from: TP-Link TD-W8960N 300Mbps Wireless N ADSL2+ Modem Router for Phone Line Connections (Personal Computers)
I thought I would post a review of the product, as there are very few BT-specific reviews here and I spent a long time trying to work out which routers would work with a BT connection.

I know very little about broadband and the seemingly endless abbreviations that go with it (I'm sick of hearing people going on and on about ADSL, DSL, PPPoE, MBP, LAN, WAN, WEP, WPA, VPN without explaining what the hell they are!)

We had a standard BT wirer router for our broadband connection. The first thing to point out is how easy this new router is to set up. The instruction booklet is very clear about setup, and if you have any doubts, the setup CD confirms it all and even has a little video showing how to connect the various confusing wires into the right places. I know generally what each one does but the video assumes you are a complete novice, so it's extra clear and helpful. It tells you what LEDs will light up on the device when you've got it all right.

Once you've connected the 3 or so wires to the right place, you run the CD in a computer, and follow the simple steps outlined in the instruction booklet. When it comes to configuring the device, you just select your ISP (Internet Service Provider) from the drop down menu (in my case BT), and make sure "PPPoE" is the selected option just below it.

The only problem came in the next stage, where after a bit of loading it asks you for a PPPoE username and password (still don't know what PPPoE stands for, don't really care either). This PPPoE, it says, should be provided by your Service provider. For a BT customer, you need to enter the username "bthomehubATbtbroadbandDOTcom" (replace the AT with @ and DOT with .). The password is "bt". Thank you to the very helpful man on the BT Customer helpline for that. This is THE standard BT PPPoE username and password and works for ALL makes of wireless router, providing it is compatible with BT (look for routers with an ADSL or ADSL2 configuration).

That is the only "what do I do" moment of the whole setup, the rest is just leaving the default settings that the router provides for you and clicking Next all the way to the end. No need to enter any other weird obscure passwords or codes. It provides you with a Product Key during the process, so write that down. (It's basically a password that means only you will be able to access your wireless connection).

Minus the phone call to BT it probably took about 15 minutes to set up. Wireless works great from the other end of the house (brick walls in between). If it helps you decide, we live in the middle of nowhere surrounded by fields, where signal is usually pretty poor. I have also connected a second computer via a wired connection (there are 4 sockets at the back of the unit for a standard wired connection), and my Playstation 3 via a wired one too, although that could use the wireless if I wanted to.

Hope this has helped if you're with BT and wondering if this'll work.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 7 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 20 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 21 Jan 2011 02:24:52 GMT
Paul Madge says:
Ed,
A huge thank you for this excellent review and the very useful tips around the BT setup of this product. One of the most helpful reviews I have ever read and as result I have bought the product.

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Jan 2011 17:27:57 GMT
E. Clarke says:
Thanks for your kind words Paul - glad it helped

Posted on 12 Jul 2011 22:34:57 BDT
T. Medhurst says:
PPP is a standard for bridging network connections over different transmission mediums. the "oE" on the end stands for "over ethernet". Ethernet is the wire your computer connects to the router :)

Posted on 7 Sep 2011 12:26:39 BDT
Will I still be able to use my BT VOIP phone number (the so-called second line) with this device? BT just told me that if I upgrade to BT HomeHub 3 I would loose that facility - plus I have to pay them 46 :-(

Posted on 14 Sep 2011 11:04:03 BDT
Last edited by the author on 14 Sep 2011 11:04:31 BDT
BM says:
"If it helps you decide, we live in the middle of nowhere surrounded by fields, where signal is usually pretty poor."

I think there is some confusion here about wifi signal. Being in the middle of nowhere and surrounded by fields (ie not dense urban setting) is basically the ideal situation for a wifi hotspot because you are not competing with devices from your neighbours.

The "usually pretty poor" signal the reviewer might be comparing to could be the mobile phone network, which may well be poor there, but that has nothing to do with the performance of this router's wifi capabilities.

Also don't forget the 'issues' with PPPoE username would be the same for any router - this has nothing to do with TPLink, but simply the reviewer not knowing what his credentials are beforehand.

Posted on 26 Sep 2011 12:40:32 BDT
Last edited by the author on 6 Oct 2011 12:49:42 BDT
Aude Noughty says:
Ed,
I'd like to add my thanks for posting such a USEFUL review. I'm wanting to replace my wired router with a WiFi router and I'm worrying about whether it will take a full day to discover I have bought the wrong thing. Given that you have provided the information from the 15 minute phone call means (hopefully) that I can even avoid that. Clearly I need to invest a little time and concentration but the manufacturers should be very grateful to you because you've given me the confidence to make the purchase! Thanks again!

I bought it and have just installed it. The only thing that slowed me down was your assertion that bthomehubATbtbroadbandDOTcom is the only username. This information is evidently out of date, since I had unique username and password. But hey, it took me five minutes to figure out that problem and copy them across from my old connection dial-up.

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Sep 2011 17:57:41 BDT
E. Clarke says:
Thank you, glad it helped. Ben Metcalfe - guess you can't please everybody! As it happens I am aware that wireless and phone/television signals are different and unrelated, which is why I said "If it helps you decide". Even though it makes no difference. But fair play for pointing it out anyway.

8 months later and still no problems with this router!

Posted on 3 Oct 2011 15:48:05 BDT
J. L. Gunn says:
Thank you for you review, nice and simply explained. With yours and the other positive reviews I am going to purchase the product.

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Jan 2012 18:44:47 GMT
Jayemp says:
Yes, it has helped me. I am having trouble with my BT Homehub 2 connecting with my Android Tablet(s). I wanted some thing that catered for BT Wireless/ Broadband and connect with my Tablet without the trouble I'm having now.

Posted on 10 Feb 2012 18:36:40 GMT
JOHN MORRALL says:
hi ed
you dont say why you went for this rather than a bt supplied homehub?

ive just bought a marantz na7004 network music server, which comes with airplay. i wanted to play my itunes via my hi fi.
i already do this succesfully using an apple airport express plug in wireless adapter. but the marantz has just had a huge price reduction (with airplay down from around 750 to the 370 i paid) and also comes with dab radio and other useful features BUT .......................after a lot of faffing around, and getting itunes to SEE the marantz, it keeps dropping offline. my hi fi suplier came up with a few unsuccseful theories, so i contacted marantz, who confirm that the bt homhubs are very old technology, AND NOT COMPATABLE WITH THE MARANTZ/ CURRENT AIRPLAY TECHNOLOGY. pity they dont make that clear in sales/technical blurb! so they say i would need to replace the bt router. si im considering this. BUT if i get subsequent problems with broadband, bt presumably will not then support me? need to decide whether to return the marantz or get a new router!
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›