3.0 out of 5 stars A shudder ran down my spine . . ., 28 Jun. 2012
This review is from: Battenberg Britain: A nostalgic tribute to the foods we loved (Hardcover)
What a jolly idea. The patent, factory-made foods we gobbled up before we discovered pesto and the supermarket aisles filled with sustainably-sourced smoked salmon, sourdough bread and organic milk. The yoof of today don't know how spoiled they are.

Now I am not a food snob. I relish the kind of grub the "Hairy Bikers" do; big pies, solid fruit cake, and such like. But this is a real horror story of food. I did enjoy reading it, and all the background information is fascinating, the original adverts bring a smile to the face. It's cleverly written and the "trolley embarassment factor" ratings are sweet. It certainly brought back memories of my childhood; much in the same way that my small brother once "brought back" Heinz Sandwich Spread on a coach outing; a product which as it leaves the jar, already looks and smells like what you take care not to step in on the High Street pavement on a Sunday morning.

And this was my problem. Many of the foods featured - Worcester Sauce is a fantastic recipe dating back to the 18th century, and what's wrong with Golden Syrup, essential ingredient in many cakes and the only "junk food" I know to have a quotation from the Old Testament on the tin, not to mention the great undated Atora Suet without which a steak and kidney pudding would not be pukkah - these are absolutely fine and notable only for their long survival as brands. But for all it's jolly, ironic tone, it did too good a job of conjuring up the worst of those days gone by. In my mind's tastebuds I could taste, only too clearly, the nauseating blend of colourings, artificial flavourings and preservatives which made up 90% of the ingredients of so many of these patent "foods". That night I had a terrible nightmare about Kraft Cheese Slices . . . I do still have Marmite and Worcester Sauce in the larder - both very wholesome in comparison with the vile horror that was toffee-flavoured Angel Delight - but all in all I shan't read the book again. You, of course, may love it, and, as the saying goes, "chacun a son gout".

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 30 Jun 2012 14:38:58 BDT
Last edited by the author on 30 Jun 2012 14:39:45 BDT
Hello Peasant and ain't it a lovely day?
My dear old mum still buys Heinz Sandwich Spread, but if you think that's vile you should expose yourself, however fleetingly, to the even more noxious and noisome own brand versions of the slime which lurk evilly upon supermarket shelves, why do they term them supermarket when super is the last word that registers when I drag my self through their doors? By lobby I am right in thinking it's not a sock full of overbearing individuals or organizations pushing their own agendae aren't I? Now that would be apppalling stuff to wrap around some poor sod's ears. The only thing I ever left on a train was an old girlfriend, I don't suppose she's still there, although I wouldn't be surprised.

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Jun 2012 19:47:34 BDT
Last edited by the author on 30 Jun 2012 20:07:20 BDT
Peasant says:
My old mum not only still eats it, but she makes me buy it for her. Trolley embarassment factor indeed! Lobby, FYI, is a sort of stew made by boiling gristle in water until it goes to rubbery congealed lumps. I think you put gravy browning in it to make the water brown. I confess I've never actually eaten it, but I've been shown it in the saucepan and offered some. The culprit seemed rather offended; I think I failed to decline with a proper grace. Not all traditional foods are fab; I'd rather eat even toffee-falvoured angel delight than lobby . . .

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Jul 2012 00:18:30 BDT
Hmm! Yum yum. A vision of Charlie Chaplin eating his boot just flashed though my mind, is that what's termed sole food?

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Jul 2012 08:50:37 BDT
Peasant says:
Don't knock it, boot has long formed a part of our national diet. Harder to get theses days, what with the rise of plastic. My old school made a very good imitation, though, allegedly out of liver - complete with the lace-holes, utterly convincing. Did you know the longer you cook liver, the tougher it gets???

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Jul 2012 10:04:39 BDT
Last edited by the author on 2 Jul 2012 10:04:59 BDT
Hmm! I'd always fancied being a long-liver but I'm damned if I want to spend years being boiled. Boot, I am given to believe, forms a significant constituent part of such readily available delicacies as the 'Feaster' and 'Rustler' range of microwaveable burger type things accompanied by a sachet of 'Relish', which as close as you will come to relish when dining on such. I have had occasion to ingest one of these creations and conclude that the placemat would have been equally as scrumptious, even sans 'Relish'
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.2 out of 5 stars (16 customer reviews)

Used & New from: £0.01