5.0 out of 5 stars Tears of Joy, 10 Dec. 2011
This review is from: Heaven (Audio CD)
I am going to start off this review with a confession Rebecca' Ferguson's new debut album made me cry and I'm not making that up as about halfway through it tears of joy at how good it was were rolling down my cheeks. I now believe in god as l was on my knees in front of the TV last year praying for her to not win XF as I knew they throw out an album of rubbish and if you've heard her sing the crap that was Distant Dreamer I'd have run for the hills (poor Matt Cardle).

Anyway I've been listening to the album all week in the car in the house in the gym on my iPhone almost everywhere and it's simply remarkable as it displays a maturity and direction way beyond her years. I have been waiting for this album all year and boy was it worth the wait I'm not sure my vocabulary can describe it fully so how about beautiful stunning well crafted creative top drawer perfection and I've been buying music for over 30 years or more. This is a SOUL album that will warm the heart of even a tatted up black metal fan.

There are no bad tracks on this album no fillers to spoil it and I'd love to have listened to the tracks she left out. My favourite track is without a doubt 'Shoulder to Shoulder' when I bought the piano acoustic version from iTunes it sent a shudder down my spine as the words were so powerful and the intensity of her singing had me connecting with her immediately. That's what I mean when I say 'I get Rebecca' it's because she connects with the listener in a special way like Dionne Warwick and Aretha used to do in the 60' & 70's. Also she co-wrote all the songs and therefore they are all personal to her which I can feel when listening to the album.

Mr Bright Eyes - is pure magic love the production from those Xenomania guys. It's a great song nice and boppy and I can feel a reggae remix coming along quite soon no doubt it brings to mind sand sea sunny days and it makes you smile it's one I have on repeat.

Nothing's real but Love - I wasn't wowed by this on first hearing but it has grown on me and the lyrics are just class as I can see this being covered by some big names in the future. No money no house no car no job will hit home with a those who have been hit hard by the recession especially those of us in the north of England. Rebecca manges to pour her heart and soul into it and you just know she's lived it as it can't have been easy bringing up two little kiddies. "Maybe the man in charge don't like my face" There's some studio video versions of this which I prefer check them out on Vevo or YouTube.

Fairytale - has that 60's big soul sound drums and horns leading it but it's Rebecca's who's in charge and I love her voice as well as the backing vocals have me singing along it's got a groove that should be down as a single sometime in the future.

Glitter and Gold -this lady isn't daft she's not dazzled by the bright lights and the lyrics tell us that she's keeping her feet on the ground similar in some ways to Fairytale but she does have a growl in her voice which I love. The voice

Fighting Suspicions - lulls you into a false sense of security how many of us expected a billie holiday type jazz ballad and then it's kicks in with a nice club groove people say this reminds them of a bond movie but I just can't hear it. She knows how to get us grooving and I can't wait to hear this is concert when I see her in February next year.

Teach me how to be loved - I think this gave me a lump in my throat when I first heard it on the album but after blubbering over Shoulder to Shoulder I held back the tears. It's an incredible song and it really does showcase Rebecca's vocals and all I know is that she never sounded this good on XF. I think this might be a single release in the future another one that sends tingles down my spine.

Run Free - Listening to this I find it hard to believe its being sung by a 24yr old mum of two kids from Liverpool who made the XF final last year. I knew she was good but she's moved to another completely diffent level since then. it's another grooves that should get you dancing around the kitchen or wherever you hear it. I have visions of people in queues around the UK tapping their feet to it.

Diamond to a Stone - It's big bold and brassy intro gets you in the right frame of mind as she hits the ground running with a nice midtempo track which gets me feeling good all over. I just love how she sings Diamond to a stone right at the end sheer class!

Too Good To Love - probably the only real club track on the album but I love it "you're too good to lose" love that being repeated and the handclaps another groover.

It's very rare that l hear a perfect album and the only ones that spring to mind for me are Earth Wind and Fire's 'ALL in ALL' and Miles Davis 'A Kind of Blue' I can now add Rebecca Ferguson's 'Heaven' yes it's a perfect debut album but then she's a very special voice who can write sings and knows what she wants no with that I wish her well for the future as l know she's gonna make the Americans fall in love with her just like we have here!

This is kind of rushed so I might amend it in a week or two but yes it's a 5 star album and it's my album of the year easily. if she doesn't win a Brit/mobo/mercury award then the man in charge really don't like her face!!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 11 Dec 2011 01:16:08 GMT
[Deleted by the author on 12 Dec 2011 14:10:02 GMT]

Posted on 12 Dec 2011 00:50:49 GMT
Last edited by the author on 12 Dec 2011 01:01:04 GMT
Misty says:
Thank you so much for your review. I haven't bought an album for a long time but when i saw this lady's single release, I knew I wanted to buy her album. My soul currently really needs her voice and the music, it soothed me when I heard her single and that's why I want her album. I've never even bought an X Factor album before (even though i watch it)..and although I liked her as a person, I wasn't even exactly instantly thrilled by her on the show- thought they were being a bit over-the-top about her actually, yet after a while I knew she had 'something' (The X Factor I suppose..reckon she's the first that actually has it, in my opinion...Leona kind of does but I still wouldn't actually buy her stuff- personal taste). I didn't read all your song anaylysis bit as I didn't want to spoil the suprise for myself! Lol..but just wanted to say thanks because you review really helped. Can tell you're a music fan in the true meaning, for me. Helped consolidate for me that I am definately going to place that order! x

Posted on 12 Dec 2011 08:19:44 GMT
swholp soup says:
Love the enthusiasm. I liked her on the one X-Factor show I watched last year. She was quiet in person but soulful in voice. I have heard one or two tracks on the radio this week that have 'leapt out' at me (before knowing it was her), hence I'm looking at the reviews of her album now. Please, though, when writing reviews.....punctuation? Stream of consciousness style very hard to read and more than annoying.

Posted on 13 Dec 2011 00:00:41 GMT
Rob says:
Hi iGlad,

I really like your ripostes. I started writing one of my own but when I read yours I thought you had got to the point more sharply and devastingly.

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Dec 2011 06:16:18 GMT
Last edited by the author on 15 Dec 2011 06:24:34 GMT
Misty says:
Seriously, I can't believe some people! Criticising the the reviewer's style of writing! The reviewer's style of writing and punctuation was perfectly fine! But anyway, you're not meant to be commenting on that! (Unless it was really bad but it wasn't). Can't believe this is happening in an Amazon forum! So petty! Some people need to grow up!

Posted on 28 Dec 2011 12:31:24 GMT
Nikki says:
brilliant review which had me high tailing it over to u tube for a listen and i totally agree with all you've said, just text hubby to buy it on way his way home as he has the car today and i cant wait to listen to it this evening :-) Thanks for a great review! and well done Rebecca!!

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Jun 2013 18:28:18 BDT
[Deleted by the author on 16 Jun 2013 18:29:32 BDT]

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Jun 2013 18:29:03 BDT
iGlad says:
Some people have nothing better to do....

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Jun 2013 18:31:48 BDT
iGlad says:
Not one comma to be seen, oh dear, l'm such a naughty boy!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.6 out of 5 stars (284 customer reviews)

Reviewer