5.0 out of 5 stars The little secret gem of Bradford revealed for all to enjoy!, 20 Sep 2012
This review is from: Prashad Cookbook: Indian Vegetarian Cooking (Hardcover)
Before reviewing this book I must first paint a picture of the Prashad Restaurant in Bradford and the family that have produced it!

Being meat eaters my friend Vicky and I were a bit reluctant to go 'all vegetarian' until Gordon Ramsay revealed this little gem of a restaurant tucked away in Bradford. After watching them come very close to winning first place on his program we decided to give it a try and with much trepidation to try food without meat we were far from dissapointed.
The atmosphere was brilliant and the service second to none but the biggest thing was the incredible food and the fact there was no meat in sight. It was a revelation that as carnivores like us we did not feel disappointed and miss having any meat in any of the dishes we had.

Every dish is so different in taste, texture and flavour and the menu at Prashad, although not huge, gives such a diverse range of choices it becomes hard to choose what to order.

The dishes are all fabulous but there are some firm favourites we must recommend. The Bombay Pataka ( Bombay Potato ) is to die for and one of my favourites. The Dosa's are superb and one of Indias Street Food dishes I have never seen on offer anywhere else in Britain.
The Chole is fabulous and the Special Chaat ( Gordon Ramsay's favorite, and ours too ) is simply stunning and lights up the pallet with sensational flavours you simply can't resist!

I could happily eat this at every meal.

Their award winning Pethi's are to die for. You have never tasted anything so wonderful and delicately spiced and so mouthwatering. All the tastes and flavours and textures Kaushy and family produce are unique with no hint of anything being mass produced or swamped with a base sauce as in so many other restaurants.

This food is fresh, delicate, vibrant and more than that very moorish!

So, with recipes taken from the restaurant menu and the influence of Gordon Ramsay this book has been produced with help, advice and a colourful look at Indian Vegetarian Cuisine which is a must to see, read and try.
Nearly all the restaurant menu dishes are in the book as are many more from the family archives which is a real bonus.

We have met Kaushy and family and they are very warm and welcoming and the chefs enthusiasm and as she says 'the love' exudes from the food they cook. Kaushy not only cooks the food but takes her time to come into the restaurant and spend a while talking to you and making sure everything is okay and ask you what you have enjoyed and what you think could be better! Where else do you get this kind of attention to detail and attempts at pleasing their guests.

I think I must also add at this time I have read back this review and omitted to include a very important person from this wonderful family and great restaurant and that is Minal who is Kaushy's daughter-in-law. She was the other star chef who appeared on the Ramsay program and deserves an equal mention for her wonderful food and dedication to the business. She works alongside Kaushy and staff and has been in collaboration with Gordon Ramsay, working and learning at his restaurant's a few days a week to gain both business experience and a good sense of running a restaurant.

The end result of this is perfect service for the customer to match the sensational food!

It is no wonder they appeared on the T.V. and no wonder this restaurant is packed every day.
If you live nearby you are blessed with such a gem of a restaurant on your doorstep. If you live further away I thoroughly recommend the trip to experience this superb cuisine and taste some of it's delights and the expertise of these skilled chefs!
And if you can't make a personal visit the next best thing is to buy this book as it is full of just about all of Kaushy's family secrets handed down from her grandmother that should be tried and tasted to be believed. What you see in the book you get at the restaurant and for me that is a breath of fresh air! No secrets, just the recipes as they are meant to be made.

All the dishes are fairly easy to follow and ingredients not too hard to source either on the high street or online, but I think there is a therapy to be had in the preparation of some of the more complicated recipes and the end results are stunning and well worth the effort.
The Prashad has now moved on to pastures new and has expanded their business to larger premises in Drighlington near Leeds and I wish them every success in the future.

My advice is to buy the book and try it. I don't think you will be disappointed.
The photography is lovely and the hints and tips are wonderful.

This is an unique book so far removed from the mainstream cookery books. It is about family cooking written with love and an enthusiasm for beautiful and enjoyed recipes and is a great book to grace any kitchen book shelf!
I can't recommend it more highly than this! Buy it, try it and enjoy!!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 28 Sep 2012 15:19:23 BDT
Hi Wow, I just had to reply to your fantastic review, Kaushy is my mum and I sat with her everyday for 1yr both on the dining room table writing the recipes and then in the kitchens timing and measuring to make sure every dish was perfect. You review has touched our heart and we hope every recipe touches yours..Bobby

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Nov 2012 05:34:12 GMT
Hi, Thank-you for your kind words. Since buying this fantastic book my friend Vicky and me have been trying out many of the recipes and can thoroughly recommend them. They are identical to the restaurant food which is fantastic. We have both been to your restaurant on many occasions and once you have moved to Drighlington will also be coming there too. I bet you are all very excited by the move and the new adventure for Prashad. It was a pleasure writing a review for you and I hope it helps sell your book and encourages more people to cook this wonderful food which I think should be experienced by everyone. Good luck in your new venture and I hope you continue pleasing the taste buds of many more customers in the future. Next time I call in once you are opened I shall stop and say hello! Regards. Ray Graham.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.6 out of 5 stars (96 customer reviews)

£25.00 £17.00