5.0 out of 5 stars Nice lttle Netbook, 3 Sept. 2012
This review is from: Acer Aspire One D270 10.1 inch Netbook - Black (Intel Atom N2600 1.6GHz, 1GB RAM, 320GB HDD, LAN, WLAN, Webcam, Windows 7 Starter) (Personal Computers)
Chosen for its allegedy faster N2600 processor, and bought for normal web browsing around the house, it is a hit.

Upgraded to 2Gb. The hint from Amazon - 204-pin SODIMM, DDR3 PC3-10600 - works great, though very fiddly to change (remove keyboard to access screws and lug to remove base cover (don't take out the keyboard connector, and be determined with the keyboard clips and the cover lug) - there's a video on YouTube).

Removed all the optional software (installed Microsoft Security Essentials), and Windows 7 starter is fine - I for one prefer it to be basic. It just sits there with a number of tabs open on internet explorer, and I can flick between them and others fine. Very fast to start up from suspend states (after closing the lid).

The smaller keyboard takes some getting used to - I miss the 'home' and 'end' keys (available through the fn shift), and the mouse pad has a couple of tricks to help scrolling. Screen is bright, though (obviously) small. It needs web designers to get rid of large headers, so we can see what they want us to see.

All in all happy.

An update, two months later, and I'm still happy, though unfortunately it is with a direct replacement - the fan on the first became excessively noisy. Thankfully, Amazon were fantastic in their return and replace.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 11 Sep 2012 13:50:53 BDT
AJR says:
I'm thinking about getting this netbook, partly so that I can use its HDMI output to feed into an HD television. Have you tried using BBC iplayer to do this? Some users of other netbooks say that iplayer doesn't display smoothly when you stream a programme directly from the website (rather than downloading the whole programme first.) So I wondered if you'd tried this out and what your experience has been with the Aspire One.

Posted on 26 Oct 2012 15:53:09 BDT
can you watch DVDs?

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Oct 2012 14:29:52 GMT
J.M. says:
I haven't done so myself - it doesn't have an internal DVD drive, but you could plug in a USB DVD drive, and my best guess is that the Windows Media Player in Windows 7 would play it ok.

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Oct 2012 14:55:48 GMT
J.M. says:
I had problems getting iplayer to recognise that I was in the UK let alone view anything!

When I got it working, the picture was pretty poor when strong movements were involved, and it failed to stream quite often, but my broadband at 1.5Mbps is pretty poor, so, I would blame that first.

Posted on 29 Oct 2012 14:58:21 GMT
[Deleted by the author on 29 Oct 2012 14:58:52 GMT]

Posted on 29 Dec 2012 19:32:05 GMT
M. Shi says:
Hi, about the noisy fan, is the second one that Amazon replace you with running quiet still? I am thinking about getting this netbook but if noise cannot be avoided after some time of use I would not consider it. Thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Dec 2012 11:03:19 GMT
J.M. says:
Nearly three months on, and the replacement is working fine - I don't notice any noise when I'm using it (mainly for the internet).

It seems to me that the first one did have a fault with the fan - a quality issue rather than a design flaw.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›