1.0 out of 5 stars Possibly a great game, I've given up trying to find out, 3 Jan. 2012
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Battlefield 3 (PC DVD) (Video Game)
I didn't manage to get this for Christmas so I thought I'd buy it for myself. Amazon sent this game in typical quick fashion and once I sat down after dinner at about 6:30 I thought I'd get it installed and have a go. I'd seen all the negative comments about Origin etc but chose to ignore them as I've lived with Steam and gotten pretty used to it, how hard can it be? I don't really have a problem with people having my details, facebook does so why nag about it?

Except for one thing.......

A bit of software, designed not to stop piracy as that could be done in a much an easier way, but really to get you logged on to their own store and website in the hope that you buy stuff and increase their webhits. This software STOPS you playing the game you've just purchased and you have perfect reason to get annoyed.

I'll list the procedure of trying to play the game as it happened as it's easier to follow:
6:30 - insert disc, run autoplay, install.
6:32 - accept dozens of terms and agreements, accept to install Origin
6:33 - Origin requires an update before install REQUIRED to play Battlefield 3 it says. - Update begins
6:35 - Update complete, re-accept dozens of terms and agreements
6:37 - Create login account for origin
6:39 - Says you've created the account, then won't let you log in, saying password or username is incorrect
6:41 - Try and register again. It says username is not available now. Try logging in again
6:44 - Still not logging in. Go and watch a recorded program on sky for half hour
7:15 - Now logs on. Now have to set privacy details, tell it not to connect to the entire world and tell them I'm playing a game, accept another 10 T&Cs
7:18 - Now says I need an update for the game (4Gb!!!!!! - My brother in law down the road gets 0.3Mb/s imagine him trying to play this)
7:20 - Begin download, go and play chess with the wife (seriously, I haven't played chess in years and there was nothing on TV, the internet is now maxed out so I thought 'why not'?)
10:35 - Download complete. Installing
10:47 - Insert Disc 2
10:52 - Install Complete. Origin crashes
10:55 - Origin not responding to forced closing. Locks machine (my machine hasn't crashed in approx 6 months - and that was during heavy photoshop use - even then it recovered)
11:00 - Reset machine after giving up waiting
11:05 - Machine reset, launched Origin. Hit 'Play Game!'
11:05 - Origin now launches 'Battlefield Website'
11:07 - Still trying to work out why it's launching a website rather than the game
11:10 - Website tells me I need to download a plugin 'Gamemanager' to my browser to play my game
11:15 - Plugin eventually installs after sitting there like a lemon for 5 minutes. I now feel violated.
11:20 - Game launches but I'm tired and extremely hacked off. I get to the menu screen where it says 'do not power off during autosave icon' - realise that's because it's blatantly a console port and go to shut down my PC in annoyance but instead....
11:30 - Begin writing my frustration on this site at the fact I can't play a game for 5 hours because of pointless updates and logins of software I don't need or want

I can hand on heart say that's what I've been through this evening and I'm royally pi**ed off. I really don't care what the game is actually like. If you can't play the sodding thing why would you even care?

11:50 - Bed

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 7 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 46 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 9 Jan 2012 11:49:23 GMT
R. Peters says:
Excellent comment. Thank you. I in fact returned to game to Amazon after reading about the T & Cs. I will not allow these people to invade my privacy.
Roy.

Posted on 9 Jan 2012 23:10:11 GMT
Dave Shields says:
thanks for this. was considering the pc version, but really can't be bothered with this amount of hassle just to play a game that's been legitimately bought.

Posted on 10 Jan 2012 22:17:09 GMT
Domantas says:
Yeah... I was so looking forward to getting BF3, logged on to Amazon to actually buy it and then... Just wow... I haven't seen so many negative comments since Rebecca recorded "Friday"...
Gonna have to look for another game to buy now :(

Posted on 13 Jan 2012 11:14:31 GMT
Davie says:
Well I was going to buy this today, but I could not justify wasting my time in the manner you describe. Thank you for explaining in such a clear manner.

Posted on 18 Jan 2012 07:45:51 GMT

Posted on 1 Feb 2012 00:40:21 GMT
Kevsworld says:
thanks for your comments - sounds like the nightmare I had with GTA IV when I first installed that. I was going to purchase Battlefield 3 but now I am just not going to bother. When are the PC games makers going to stop all this rubbish. They claim it is for anti piracy but really they just want to steal all of your personal information.

Posted on 16 Feb 2012 17:28:27 GMT
Yes it's a hassle, but it's worth it. And No, it's not a console port, It's engine was built for PC! Not translated from console programming codes.

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Feb 2012 20:44:04 GMT

Posted on 29 Feb 2012 16:53:02 GMT
-Bobbie- says:
Thanks for this review. Was just about to click buy-now and then noticed this useful article. Usually if it has the letters "EA" (Expect Aggro) stamped on the box I approach it with caution these days. Thanks for saving me my money and stacks of problems.

Posted on 13 Mar 2012 14:35:36 GMT
T. J. Patton says:
I have talked to people who play and they say that there is an going problems with Origin. They are complaining that it can take a long time to log on. I was looking forward to this game but I wont agree to have spyware installed to play it.This is all about maximising profits and nothing to do with the customer. BF2 was great.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.1 out of 5 stars (259 customer reviews)

£39.99 £9.59