5.0 out of 5 stars A few fitting issues, but top quality sound and ridiculous bass, 8 Jan 2013
This review is from: Roccat Kave Solid 5.1 Surround Sound Gaming Headset (Personal Computers)
First things first - this thing is bigger than I was expecting. I know that to fit two 40mm speaker drivers in each ear takes a lot of room, but I wasn't prepared for two headphones the size of tea cups.

Still, this provides the best sound I've ever heard out of a pair of headphones. They're not quite as good for music as even a pair of earbuds, which are portable and give slightly cleaner sound (this has problems with the mid-range which you can hear in the vocals) but for gaming, I don't know if these can be beaten.

The sound is almost perfect. There's no background hiss, the bass is sometimes so powerful that the headset vibrates and the surround sound is very distinct. Voices are perfectly clear when gaming - Dishonored is one of the most wordy games of late and the voice acting definitely shone when I played with these headphones. The whispering of the spells really feels like it's coming from inside your head, not from speakers over your ears.

The earcups themselves aren't noise-cancelling as such. My computer is quite loud, and when there's no sound being played through the speakers it does leak through. However when you play sound through them, which you'll probably spend quite a bit of time doing, it seems to mask outside noises easily, to the point where I can't hear people in the same room as me talking.

Overall, sound is excellent. I only have a fairly basic integrated sound card on an old motherboard, but that doesn't seem to faze this beauty at all. I can only imagine what they're like with a newer codec, or even a dedicated sound card. Whatever sound card you have, go and play Skyrim with these - you'll swear you can feel the wind rushing past your ears!

---

The only real con I can think of is the fit. When I hoist it onto my rather large head, the headband seems to be angled forward slightly so that only the front part of the cushions actually touches my head, and the back is raised up off my head. If it's positioned incorrectly the plastic on the headband can dig into my scalp slightly, but once it is adjusted, the problem doesn't reoccur. The headset is so light that this almost doesn't matter at all - if it did I'd have knocked a star off. I played a solid four hours of Dishonored on a day when I had nothing better to do and came away with nothing worse than some slightly warm ears.

In addition, the joint between the actual earcups and the headband seems slightly flimsy so I always pick it up by the cups themselves rather than the headband. Just in case. Seems solid enough though.

---

In conclusion - even if you've got 200 to blow on a pair of gaming 'phones, I'd say don't. Get these and put the extra 140 towards a better computer or something. The quality and surround sound direction on this headset is absolutely top notch, and while you can probably find one that fits slightly better, I'd say that more expensive sets probably suffer from diminishing returns, especially where sound quality is concerned. This is the sweet spot for PC headsets.

[Add comment]