2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed rant., 4 Jan 2014
This review is from: Braun Series 5 5030s-5 Electric Shaver (Personal Care)
I bought this on the strength of generally positive reviews here to replace my old trusted Braun rectangular block shaped high power Flex-Integra which although still shaving as well as it ever did has developed an annoying rattle from even new head assemblies. Understandable, wear and tear was inevitable after so many years of daily use.

So I was surprised to find that this one's head block rattling, buzzing, vibrating, growling (take your pick) even more than my old shaver. I don't know about the "German Precision Engineering" mentioned more than once in these reviews but this sounds more like what I'd expect from say a £20 cheapo than a Braun with a RRP of £160. On fiddling around I discovered that in positions 1 and 5 it's less noisy. But in the centre 3 positions or unlocked it rattles away like a good-un. Hum or purr it does not.

And as for it's given purpose, the actual shave isn't all that. It's certainly no better than my old shaver, and as with that, the only way I can get my couple of difficult 'bristle whorl' areas smooth is to jab the shaver at them.

But there are even more nits to be picked. Take the trimmer. I have muttonchops which need regular aligning, and what am I given to do this with? The silliest little convex (why convex???) trimmer less than an inch long with cutting blades recessed below their plastic housing so you can't see the actual blades when trying to trim. And even then they don't work! My old shaver has a 2 inch straight trimmer that can actually be seen and works like a dream, and is specially useful clearing up stray side and back neck hairs. This one's totally useless for any of that.

Then there's the charging cable. What's all that about? I have an MK wall shaver socket and have never had any problems using that with any shaver, toothbrush, dental irrigator, what have you. Until now. This bulky Braun plug just falls straight out! No way will it stay in the socket unless held there manually. But wait for it. It's the same with the other end. There is absolutely no purchase whatsoever when plugging the cable into the shaver itself. It surprises me that it even makes an electrical connection at all.

I've ranted enough. Glad to have got it all off my chest. (If not my chin). Let's finish by saying that contrary to others' opinions - call me old fashioned, but I also think that the piano black finish makes it look cheap and nasty.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]