4.0 out of 5 stars Impressive with HD, Average with Standard Def, 11 Jun. 2012
This review is from: LG 47LM620T 47-inch Widescreen Full HD 1080p LED Cinema 3D Smart TV with Freeview HD (discontinued by manufacturer) (Electronics)
I bought the LG 47LM620T from Amazon about 4 weeks ago and have overall really enjoyed watching TV and movies. The file system for connected USB/HDD drives is a real boon. I would give it a score of 4/5 overall.

I'm coming from a Toshiba 32" LCD 720p screen, which I have to say was more solidly built, and had better speakers than the LG. I was expecting a brushed aluminium/metal bezel, but I'm afraid it is only a plastic bezel, but does have a sturdy metal back to the screen. The screen itself is a little loose in the corners, and on the modern minimalist stand, it looks great but is not the most stable - I'm not worried about it falling over, but the old Toshiba would swivel with one hand and was steady as a rock - I guess this is a tiny price to pay for having a 47" screen So for the build, I would say 3.5/5 - could be better.

HD TV, DVD and HD DVD (same as blu-ray for those new to the AV world!) all look fantastic, and really absorb you. I am on Virgin Media, and I have found that live HD TV (for example BBC HD) looks better than the HD content on iPlayer...not sure if anyone else has found the same? I also find that some Standard Definition channels are better than others.....Dave looks pretty good in Standard Definition, but some channels do not fare so well. This was the same on my Toshiba, so can't blame the LG for this, but I would warn you that if you want excellent clarity, you'll need to opt for HD channels or Blu-ray...standard definition channels, for me, are not amazing quality. One final thing on the screen - it is quite glossy, and if it's a sunny day, you can see the sun on the carpet reflected on the screen. I know this is probably par for the course, but my old Toshiba has a matt screen which was much better in this respect, so I don't know why they make screens so glossy? As for the picture settings, my wife and I were not impressed when we first switched the TV on, but after a play with the settings, we have a really good picture. I have mine set to :

Picture Mode: Cinema (user)
Backlight: 80
Contrast: 90
Brightness: 65
Sharpness: 28
Colour: 50
Tint: 0

Picture Options> Noise reduction, low. Black level, low. Real Cinema, off. Trumotion, off.

I do put trumotion onto a level 2-5 for watching movies sometimes, but general preference is to have it switched off to be honest. Also, try out the "Picture Wizard 2" - initially i thought it was for looking at or editing jpegs, but it's actually a useful calibration tool where you can set your choice for various settings, and it will allow you to automatically save those settings to whichver inputs you choose (HDMI 1, HDMI 2, HSMI 3, AV1 etc etc (so it's a good way to get one setting, and replicate it to all your different devices like cable tv, blu-ray, console etc). Despite doing this though, I nearly always find myself switching back to the Cinema setting and ajusting to the levels listed above.

3D....Amazing. I am a convert. I told my wife we should not bother looking at 3D TV's - i've not been very impressed at the cinema (exception being TinTin 3D) - but it's a bit of a boon on your TV. I don't watch it all the time, but watching "300" in 3D, is very impressive indeed, and that's not even with a 3D blu-ray player, so just using the 2D to 3D conversion.

Menu system is great, and like I say, the USB function is fantastic. I am now tempted to buy a huge hard drive and just store everything on that, and connect it to the TV. So user friendly to be able to surf all those old photos/files/movies from your armchair.

I think for the price I paid, I made the right choice. I think the Panasonic 47ET5, which I believe uses the same screen, is probably better built, but I don't know about the menu system. LG have impressed me with their menu system. The golden question is would I buy this again? Yes. Although, if I had a few hundred quid more, i would splash out on something like the LG 47LX9900 or Panasonic 47WT50B.

Hope it helps give an accurate flavour of what you'll be buying.

Update: You can connect a USB mouse to the TV - which really helps navigate some of the apps / internet browser. Great if you want to choose what to watch at the cinema with family...watch trailers straight from google / youtube etc.

Update after 6 months use: Still every bit as happy as before. Latest new feature is Netflicks which looks very good with their HD content. Also, I just bought a Galaxy Tab 8.9 (Samsung Tablet) and the Smasunf "Allshare" function works with the LG "smartshare" function. I think it is just a rebranded DLNA technology but who cares...it means i can stream movies and music files from my tablet and control it with the remote. Only drawback is I can't stream internet radio from my tablet. Hopefully LG will release an internet radio app for the telly.

NB: Forgot to say, I bought a Samsung Blue Ray player, and to my surprise, the LG tv somehow connects to the bluray player, so that you can use basic controls like play, pause, stop with the LG remote. Also if you switch the TV off, it will automatically sitch off the bluray. Pretty cool, but unfortuntely i still have 4 remotes in my sitting room as it doesn't do everything the bluray remote does.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 5 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 25 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 3 Jul 2012 20:29:21 BDT
E. Samaras says:
Many thanks for the settings. It saved me hours of adjusting. :)

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Jul 2012 16:36:41 BDT
D. L. Grace says:
Yes, me too

Posted on 25 Jul 2012 12:10:08 BDT
Andy says:
fantastic review

Posted on 30 Jul 2012 08:42:06 BDT
johnfolga says:
Many thanks - I used the settings listed for Picture Mode etc for my new LG660 model and am very pleased with them - much better than the default settings it had on delivery which was far too bright - saved me hours of work and I doubt if I would have got there in the end.

Have not tried the other advice (Picture Options and Picture Wizard) but will do so when ready.

John S.

Posted on 12 Sep 2012 16:58:51 BDT
K. Naughton says:
may sound dft-but when it says skype-in list-it shows pic of camera-on tv-is camera built in-or do i have to by one?thx

In reply to an earlier post on 12 Sep 2012 17:15:44 BDT
kaizen says:
Yes I thought I would be able to use the TV with Skype.... I think you can but you need to buy a separate webcam (specifically for this TV, not a regular webcam) and they are not very cheap! Let me know if you find one at a good price!

Posted on 15 Sep 2012 17:52:55 BDT
plantwoman says:
Have you actually tried recording anything? The book says to use a USB or HDD but when I put my USB stick in it says it doesn't support DVR - have you had this problem?

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Sep 2012 21:50:27 BDT
kaizen says:
I tried with a 16gb usb stick and it didn't work - but it does work with a Hard Disk Drive - like a bigger one... I heard someone say it only works with usb or disk drives bigger than 32gb. Hope this helps!

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Sep 2012 08:30:12 BDT
plantwoman says:
Thanks for that, I do know that the maximum size of the USB is 32gb so I thought I'd be OK. Did you have any problems recording to the hard drive at first? The manual seems to suggest that using the magic remote makes everything easier so I think we're going to buy one.
I have left a message on the LG help system and when (if?) they respond, I shall add another comment. Thanks again.

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Sep 2012 12:37:05 BDT
D. L. Grace says:
I presume you are using the correct USB port. I have a humax PVR and that records fine. I haven't tried a USB stick because as far as I can make out you can't record and watch a different program. The humax PVR has twin Hard drives so can record two programs and lets you watch another.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›