3.0 out of 5 stars A Signed Music Producer's POV: Cheap, Cheerful & OK., 8 Nov 2010
This review is from: Skullcandy Ink'd In-Ear Audio Earbud Headphones - Silver/Black (Electronics)
As a signed music producer and part time DJ, for the last 17 years I've travelled a lot playing all around the world; so I've had every type of personal music players there is - from cassette Walkmans bought in Hong Kong, to Discmans, to Minidisc players to Walkman phones and now MP3s etc. etc. etc... So I've been through my fair share of headphones.

I've honestly had loads,some good - some bad, and I can tell you these are 'fine' for personal stereos and perfectly up to the job. They do have their shortcoming, but they also have a lot of positives - especially, I think, considering the price. The main thing you want to know about of course though, is how they sound.

They aren't going to satisfy the hi-fi buff and music purists out there, but then again, neither is listening to the MP3's format anyway. Here in lies the problem. MP3, as a format is rubbish - and lacks any sort of depth or warmth to the sound anyway, so anything you listen to on a iPod, portable MP3 player or walkman phone is going to be lacking in quality and beep bass anyway - so why waste a fortune on headphones, when these do the job adequately.

I've never liked these sort of 'bud' type earpieces as I've always found they didn't fit in my ears and just fell out all the time when I walked - but I'm happy to say these ones, for some reason, stay put. Not only that, they're the 1st pair of sound nullifying or isolating headphones I've ever had that work. They do actually block out all the sound around me I've found - even on train journeys.

All in all, for the money, I'm very happy with these head phones. Some people say the rubbery leads catch on clothes and pull them put - again, I've never had a problem with this. The leads - or connection - did start to crackle a bit when I first got them, but they seem to have settled down now and I haven't had any problems. For what they are they do a good job.

From a technical pov, yeah the bass could be a bit richer, but you get what you pay for - and if that really is a concern of yours, you're not going to get that listening to stuff on MP3 anyway. And one final thought - they're available in a range of different colours too (which is a nice touch), from the Rasta red, gold & green ones to 'Emo' pinks, Goth black and everything in between - the thing is, different colours cost different prices. Look to pay anything from £8.99 to around £20, so if fashion isn't an issue - shop around.

If you found this review helpful please give it the thumbs up - if not, comment on why so I can do a better job for you next time. Thanks :-)

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 21 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 19 Nov 2010 18:42:03 GMT
Sam Archer says:

Posted on 20 Nov 2010 18:00:52 GMT
SP Owen says:
Agree that mp3 is a poor format, however there are small portable music players that support lossless formats, such as FLAC. Appreciate your longer review but it hasn't really helped me decide as I need something to compare to. My present (broken) earbuds are Sony EX71 - I wonder how they compare.

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Nov 2010 13:52:14 GMT
Last edited by the author on 24 Nov 2010 14:01:07 GMT
PHouseley:

LOL - on what basis... I'm actually quite happy with my life.

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Nov 2010 14:00:15 GMT
Last edited by the author on 24 Nov 2010 14:13:27 GMT
SP Owen:

Well, I think in that case you need to read What-HiFi or something if you want some comparisons... From the sounds of things, I'm getting the impression you're quite into getting the best reproduction of sound you can, so in that case maybe these aren't for you. These are just good, cheap, earbuds that do the job adequately - but they certainly won't blow you away. But for sitting on the bus into work I think they're fine.

Perhaps you should forget in ear ear phones altogether? I don't I have anything to compare them too - the only other phones I have are full size ones. Beyer Dynamics and Senheisser 125s for studio work, and sonys for Djing.

I don't know the model of Sony headphones you're on about, but I'd be willing to put money that, being Sony, the sound quality is probably better than these. Keep in mind you can pick these up for 8 quid in some places.

Overall my opinion is they are so so - they're OK... not very helpful at all, I know, but that's what I thought of them and if you want more than that from your new headphones - these aren't for you... that's all I can really say to help.

Sorry my review didn't help you more. Hope you find something soon. Best of luck.

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Nov 2010 00:12:15 GMT
Last edited by the author on 26 Nov 2010 00:12:38 GMT
SP Owen says:
I eventually bought another pair of Sony MDR EX71s, just like my last pair. I thought better the devil I know, as I was perfectly happy with the previous pair until they broke and the insulation wore through, exposing bare wires. I was amazed to find a genuine Sony pair (lots of fakes about, apparently) on eBay for less than 12 quid! My last pair was about 25 quid. It's not worth risking damaging more expensive ones (I wear them all day at work in a physical job)

Anyway, they sound great, fit tightly into my ear for deep bass and isolation from the sound of machinery I use, and mid and treble are smooth, focussed and pleasant. I think I ought to be posting this elsewhere ;)
Cheers The Truth.

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Nov 2010 16:10:53 GMT
Last edited by the author on 26 Nov 2010 16:11:43 GMT
The Truth says:
LOL - yeah, good little overview of the Sony's performance, I'm sure there's a spot waiting for you in the top reviewer chart :-)

Glad you're music problems are sorted - and from the sounds of things (not pun intended) I think you made the right choice. Happy boogying.

Posted on 16 Nov 2011 20:34:38 GMT
Buddy says:

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Nov 2011 21:25:18 GMT
Last edited by the author on 16 Nov 2011 21:26:17 GMT
The Truth says:
Rather an ironic comment given your name 'green man'.

you wouldn't mind wearing girly pink then ;-)

Thanks for leaving your comment anyway.

Posted on 27 May 2012 17:02:58 BDT
Ghio says:
Nice summer time review, but as you asked us to comment I would like to add this: Try FLAC files on Cowon players with any Grado cans. 'Nuff said

In reply to an earlier post on 27 May 2012 23:17:41 BDT
The Truth says:
OK, I'll look into it. Thanks for swinging by.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.4 out of 5 stars (620 customer reviews)

£19.95 £10.59