5.0 out of 5 stars Blimmin' Brilliant, 16 Feb 2013
This review is from: H.R. Pufnstuf - The Complete Series [1969] [DVD] (DVD)
Alright, so I'm 27 - so I was obviously not around when this was on TV, my parents and other family members have never mentioned this ... so what drove me to buy this DVD, I really have no idea ... but I seem to have missed out. Big time.

I love it! I've just finished watching the entire 17 episodes AND the film ... and, to be honest, I'm going to sit and watch them all again when I can because I was really disappointed when I got to the end. *sad*

I'm quite mad about puppetry and 'surrealism' and this has got to be one of the more quirky programmes I've ever seen. The only way I can describe it is a bit like 'The Banana Splits' meets 'The Wizard of Oz' with a bit of 'Charlie Chalk' thrown in (though C.C. came afterwards, so I wonder if that was inspired by Pufnstuf.)

Although it's a kids' programme, it's not all that wholesome, which I think is where today's kids' programmes go wrong. I mean, I'm 27 and I don't find it patronising at all and it doesn't underestimate its potentially young audience. If you look at things like Fraggle Rock, Dangermouse and several other Children's Cult Programmes of the past, there's a reason why adults still embrace and enjoy watching them and I think it's a shame that things like 'Pufnstuf' have been replaced by the horrors of Boobahs, Tellytubbies and the monstrosity of CGI Fireman Sam (it's almost a crime - do not watch it - stick to the original).

Pufnstuf is very well made, it doesn't take itself too seriously, you can see that everyone is having a whale of a time and I think that's partly why it works so well. The acting is very good and, besides acting, there's a lot of other talents in there - there's dance, music and, of course, the lovely art of puppetry. I picked up on a few recognisable voices in there, which I kept looking up. Each character, although they might be stereotypical (for want of a better word), I can't really think of one character I don't like or any particularly weak characters. Freddy annoyed me a little bit at first, but now I'm used to him. I love Jack Wild in 'Oliver!' and it was nice to see him in something else and, to be honest, as good as he is in 'Oliver!', I think he outshines himself in this. Cling and Clang remind me of Lemmings and of course you've got the two contrasting characters of Witchiepoo and Pufnstuf himself.

Kids today should be allowed to enjoy things like this. In fact, if you love children's programmes or a good trip down memory lane or have kids of your own - get this on DVD because it's excellent. It really is and I, for one, am extremely happy to welcome it into my collection.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]