3.0 out of 5 stars Better than PGR1? The jury is still out..., 12 Dec 2003
This review is from: Project Gotham Racing 2 (Xbox) (Video Game)
Being a big fan of PGR1, I really waited with baited breath for the sequel. Personally I thought the most important thing to change was the AI - there's nothing more frustrating than getting punted off at a corner because the car behind didn't brake!
So I loaded it up, and I must admit that after playing for a couple of hours or so I was pretty disappointed with the result. I resisted the temptation to write a comparison straight away, so after a week or so of playing...
The most instantly obvious change to PGR1 is the lower frame rate... it is *clearly* not as smooth as its predecessor, and it really DOES make a difference. I also haven't really gone "WOW! That looks amazing" to anything in the game. Certainly nothing that makes me see a big improvement over PGR1.
The second difference I have noted is that the cities don't seem to have any particular character to them. I can't quite put my finger on why, but the various cities in PGR1 certainly had "something" that those in PGR2 don't. Perhaps I need to adjust the brightness of my screen too, because alot of them seem quite gloomy, and coupled with the lower frame rate this does make judging the position of a barrier quite tricky at times.
Thirdly, although the AI has been improved, it can still be pretty annoying at times! Computer controlled cars will still just drive into you while they are trying to get to the racing line when you are overtaking them. You can be alongside, and then suddenly you're being driven into the armco!
Finally, if I see the Ferrari Enzo ever again I'm going to scream (unless it's on my drive at home). Admittedly it is the games "feature" car, but it's on the adverts, the box, the opening title sequence, and the welcome screen. OK! THE GAME HAS A FERRARI ENZO! I KNOW!
Saying that, it is still an entertaining game worth having and I *AM* enjoying playing it. They have some good new ideas such as the "Speed Camera" challenges, and most of challenges on "Platinum" are VERY tough. If you are a racing game fan, you should certainly get it, but if you're coming from PGR1 and expect PGR2 to blow it away, then you will be disappointed.
I now wait with baited breath to see how GT4 holds up...

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]