4.0 out of 5 stars Be warned...worth a read before buying (updated), 1 April 2014
This review is from: WD My Cloud Personal Cloud Storage NAS - 4 TB (Personal Computers)
Let's start by briefly explaining what this is supposed to do. Connect it to your router (via the supplied Ethernet cable), plug it in and access the WD Dashboard (either through the software you install from the WD site or through the Network folder on your Start menu). From there, you need to register for the WD MyCloud service - this enables you to view files (music, video, pictures etc) through the WD2go website or the WD apps.

Unfortunately, I kept getting error messages saying unable to register. This was due to two things - firstly, my router (BT Hub 4) needed changes to allow port forwarding and I'll get onto the second issue shortly. Now, I'm not techy in any way so took a long time to figure out how to do port forwarding (the WD forum has details on there). I'd have thought that if this device doesn't work with certain router settings, there would be clear instructions provided to resolve this. A quick start up guide is not useful, neither is a 142 page user manual considering this is advertised as a plug and play device. I eventually registered for the WD MyCloud service and received the confirmation e-mail. From there, I successfully transferred some video files from my computer HDD to the Video folder in the NAS. I could then view those files on my devices (iPad and iPhone) so all was well.

Unfortunately, this NAS is plagued with server issues at WD's end. Although you can transfer files to the NAS so it operates to a point, you cannot view these files in the WD MyCloud service unless it's working. There have been server issues at WD's end for about 2 weeks and no current details of when they will be resolved. This is a real shame, as if you can get the device set up (I'd say if I can do this, it's in most people's grasp) it actually does everything you'd want it to. But with the server issues this device is essentially useless as a cloud based device. I'm tempted to return this (sorry Amazon, not your fault) for a refund and go with a Seagate or Buffalo NAS. I'd recommend reading the posts on the WD forum before purchasing, but until their service is stable you are taking a risk.

So to summarise, if you aren't that bothered about accessing your files in the cloud through your devices, this functions fine. If remote access to your files is something you want, unless WD can resolve their server issues and provide some stability, look elsewhere.

Update - 24th April.

Shortly after posting the above review, the WD servers came back on line. I also discovered that to access your files from other devices outside your network, port forwarding is required on any router you use not just the BT hubs. The WD servers being down did not help in the inital set-up of the NAS, making it difficult to figure out whether there was a problem with the device, my router/network or the WD servers.

Now the servers are up and running, this really is a very good device. The purpose of mine is to store my movie collection and use XBMC as a media centre, but also be able to access my collection from iPad or iPhone. I've now got about 250gb of data in the NAS and can access everything on my other devices. I simply drop the file into the shared videos folder in the NAS and have had no problems so far. I sometimes have to enter my username and password to access the NAS folder location, despite both my HTPC and NAS constantly being switched on.

Now that WD have resolved their server issues, this really is a great device for the price and does everything I wanted it to. The WD apps are easy to use and all my files are available.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 10 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 3 Apr 2014 08:52:02 BDT
Enodrahcir says:
I totally agree with you having bought one this weekend. The servers do appear to be up and running now. Can you confirm how you got your homehub 4 to work. I tried ( am pretty it literate) but the cloud drive says portforwarding to 80 & 443 failed. In portforwarding of the router I set up those two ports, assigned them to the routers IP ( which I had set outside the routers so that it is static: 192.168.1.50), took off the extra security on UPnP. I also set up the network settings on the WD to manual & the cloud access configuration to manual. This still gave no joy.
However today for the first time it says portforwarding is working! Seems very unstable.

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Apr 2014 09:58:56 BDT
Last edited by the author on 3 Apr 2014 10:00:17 BDT
Andy Craven says:
I followed this, which although didn't work for the user who posted it, did for me...http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-My-Cloud/WD-My-Cloud-and-BT-Home-Hub-3/m-p/707070/highlight/true#M10958

If the WD servers are down, port forwarding won't work (as it is trying to access the WD Cloud). I got a message this morning saying it is back up and looks like you got there, but agree it seems very unstable.

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Apr 2014 13:59:52 BDT
Last edited by the author on 20 Apr 2014 12:55:29 BDT
Enodrahcir says:
Thanks- shall leave the settings I have that now work. It is a pity WD do not post info to tell you to not even try port forwarding until their servers are okay. I emailed screenshots of my settings to them & just got a generic - our servers are down try again latter - rather than yes/ no for my settings and try again latter.

20 April 2014
A couple of weeks down the line and it does seem to be working as it should. Can upload photos from my iphone when away from home and access the cloud drive files. Have left all the router setting as in my earlier post rather than change back to plug and play just incase they do not work. Am now pleased with it.

Posted on 16 Apr 2014 08:38:56 BDT
Hi Andrew Craven,

We recently provided our customers with an update to the service disruption, and we are confident that the Wd2Go remote access concern has since been resolved for the My Cloud drive. You may visit the link below for further information on this subject.

"Service Issues Update for My Cloud and My Book Live": http://www.wdc.com/en/MyCloudUpdate

If you are still experiencing issues reconnecting we recommend the following steps, to reconfirm the connection you may be required to reboot the unit you need to access the UI > Settings > Utilities, scroll down to "Device Maintenance" and click "Reboot". The "Cloud Access" should now be set to "port Forwarded" or a "relayed Connection" depending on you network settings.

If after the reboot you are still having connection issues (slow, intermittent), we would appreciate the opportunity to assist you. Please contact our My Cloud Support, and be sure to mention this Amazon review. We can be reached by phone or email at the below link.

Posted on 19 Apr 2014 17:59:11 BDT
Adam B says:
I haven't bought this device but I would like to clear up a common misconception many people seem to be having. I can't comment on any issues on WD's end but I will comment on the port forwarding issue.

Unfortunately for any device to be accessed remotely from outside of your network you will require port forwarding, in basic terms when you contact your network from outside, what ever router you use it will need to know what device to forward that traffic to inside the network. This is what the port forwarding is for. Whatever router you use unfortunately you're going to require port forwarding if you wish to access any network attached storage from outside of your network. So I understand if you might complain about there not being clear instructions but don't complain just because the device required port forwarding as that's unavoidable what ever router you own!

Posted on 20 Apr 2014 12:04:46 BDT
ISSean says:
I'm not ready to add a review yet as want to give it more time but I sympathise with this review if people expect plug n play. Networks are never that simple and this is a reasonable attempt at making it easier.

I have mine working very well so far (just waiting on reliability before reviewing).

What I have done is:

Assign an IP address in the router
Set Cloud Drive to use static IP (my home IP is static so that helps, if you have rolling IP I think this is where using the WD service must come in to it)
Forwarded ports manually (even though if you plug n play it will do it automatically but I don't think it's very fast or stable that way through WD (agree with review about this))
Mapped the appropriate drive folders on each machine so we don't need to use desktop software - just drag drop/copy paste etc (this is a lot easier than it sounds)

By doing all these things performance seems to be much much faster.

Via a netgear DGND3300 it's working very fast over Ethernet and reasonably quickly over WiFi. Can't comment on BT router, I've always avoided supplied equipment.
Windows 7.

If the instructions don't explain it well enough there is a lot of resource out there on the web.

Hope this helps.

Posted on 1 May 2014 01:48:12 BDT
Aj hams says:
Great review was looking at this drive to replace a buffalo link station 2tb live nas which ive used for 4 years have about 700gb of movies pics documents and music on the drive also own the wd player to tvs so was hoping it would work well in terms of shares

Does it work in terms of sonos wireless ok as well or from your comments or is it that fiddly also
My isp is sky fibre 32mbps but im a little uncertain on this drive now because of wd servers and just looking just to get my stuff copied off the nas I have now & hopefully set up my cloud rather then buffalo clunky apps which does not let me share video or sounds par both folders just 1 folder at a time

Is it possible for this nas to stream my music to my sonos whilst watching a movie from it

Cheers

In reply to an earlier post on 26 May 2014 12:32:04 BDT
Phil says:
I would say yes - I don't have this one I have a mybook live and I can stream different music to my sonos and to my Marantz at the same time as watching different streamed films via WD tv live and ipad

Posted on 2 Jun 2014 18:23:32 BDT
Just a thought, but there are other cloud services you can use to connect, but obviously there is a cost involbved but there are reliable services out there, can't offer and recommendations because I don't use them I do my own port forwarding and have my own DDNS Pro account.

Port forwarding is the way to go with this device, but then you have the issue of your public IP address, if it's static thtas nothing to worry about but if its dynamic, you will either need to get a DDNS account and create a hostname or get your ISP to provide a static IP which would typically cost abut £5.00 plus per month. Also there is the issue of your broadband providing sufficient upstream speed. 1 mbps should be fine for most file transfers.

Plug and play. I don't think so. Come on WD get your act together, be kind to your retail clients and get your cloud service running correctly

CCTV engineers often offer port forwarding service as this is how they connect their CCTV to the internet, they may well be willing to do the port forwarding at a fee and offer a DDNs account with an annual fee, mine is £20 pa after the first 12 months by example
Rex CCTV Bolton

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Jun 2014 18:27:22 BDT
It helps that you have a great router.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›