3 of 3 people found the following review helpful
Best Alternative CD Compilation in a Crowded Field - Don't let `Compilation Fatigue' make you overlook it!,
This review is from: Frankie Said (Audio CD)
The FGTWs catalogue has been pillaged and raped so many times previously it's easy to have `compilation fatigue'. I'm glad that I (belatedly) bought this and here is a summary of why it may be worth you doing likewise, in my order of priority:
- 79 minutes packed with good stuff and great sound quality.
- Sensitive alternative versions - if you want a `vanilla' best of then look elsewhere.
- Good edits - no bloated remixes that have you pressing the 'fast-forward'. All the fat (some very tasty) has been left on the other compilations.
- Power of Love (for Lovers) 4:31 - lush orchestral instrumental of a great track that is both powerful and lovely. First time on (non-single) CD. Worth buying for this track alone!
- Relax (last 7") 3:33 - similar but different to the well-worn standard version. Nice alternative. First time on (non-single) CD.
- Two tribes (0:32) - lovely piano instrumental. First time on (non-single) CD.
- Two Tribes (We don't want to die) 4:12 - concise version including edited air raid warning.
- Relax - `US mix' 7:27- not the pukka `New York mix' as stated - 4:30 of leisurely instrumental intro before the 7". This is the edited version of the original (16 minutes +) `sex' mix that was so excessive and bloated it almost stopped `Relax' from charting.
- War 4:15 - edited version (from 6:11) with spoken intro, best version kept all the good bits!
- Born to Run (Live from the Tube) 4:52 - good lively version, shows they could cut it live.
- Ferry Cross the Mersey 4:08 - good cover version of a B-side often missed off other CDs.
- Two Tribes (Annihilation) 9:10 - great 12", with `President Ronnie Reagan' intro with chilling public announcements in the event of a nuclear attack.
- Welcome to the Pleasuredome (Remade World) 5:09 - proper title `Alternative Reel', a good edit.
- Warriors of Wasteland (Attack mix 7") 3:31 - with Gary Moore on OTT extra geetar a good edit.
Plus other tracks that round off a great package.