4.0 out of 5 stars Not bad at all, 12 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Samsung UE32EH5300 Full HD 1080p Smart LED TV with Wi-Fi functionality (Old model) (Electronics)
TV arrived today as a replacement for a 7 year-old Samsung LCD that succumbed to the rigours of everyday life with young children. Initially I was surprised at how small the set was and my first thought was I could have had the 40" version. It was also very light so I had no concerns about the old TV table supporting the weight.

The TV was very easy to assemble, the stand only had 8 screws and it was simple and logical to put together. All my cables were in place from my previous tv, so including unpacking I think it took 20 minutes to wire it all in. The initial start up was very straight-forward and it only took about 5 minutes for it to tune itself.

The smart apps, required a little time for them to recognise they needed updates and the actual updating took the longest part of the setup, but again it was straightforward. I was a little surprised it didn't ask me which apps to install seeing as there is limited space but I am sure I can delete what I don't use. (I haven't tried this yet).

USB playback was fine except I have a lot of M4V files which weren't recognised. This may be due to the container I used for encoding. I can solve this issue myself and I don't have a great wealth of knowledge in this area.

Picture quality is very good, although I have moved from a 1080i to a 1080p. I first noticed that the picture from my xbox was much more crisp and colourful. The picture from my sky box was the same and this is when I discovered that my Sky box is not full HD only 1080i. So no change there.

I have several online film accounts, lovefilm being a favourite of my kids for Despicable Me and using the app was great, hassle free and the picture quality was great. Nice rich colours and good definition, as you would expect from HD.

Sound quality was a marked improvement on my last tv. In the past I was an audiophile, only going for the best speakers, cables and AV receivers, but now I have joined the ranks of normal people and go with, can I hear it? and the answer is yes, and if I can't then the volume button affords me the luxury of turning it up. Just remember it is a tv not a cinema sound system. You can always add your own equipment if you want something meatier.

Now, my only gripe, the stand! It has a slight upwards angle to it and it is not adjustable. This has the effect of pulling the bottom of the screen towards you more than the top. So if you are sitting close to the tv it gives everything a slightly strange aspect. Close means 2 meters or less. You don't notice it at all when you are far away, but if you are sitting on the floor with young children this effect is exaggerated. I can live with it and in a worst case scenario I can stick a book or something under the back of the stand to offset the tilt. This is the reason for 4 stars and not 5.

All in all a great tv for the price, and unlike the cheaper models (according to their reviews) has full customisation for picture settings and not just the presets.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 17 Apr 2013 20:51:58 BDT
lamb3rt0 says:
Hey, I had the same problem with the slight slant backwards when I first assembled it but it is easily fixed: it's like that because you haven't placed the TV onto the stand connector properly (the bit which screws into the stand first, then the TV). You need to make sure that all 4 protruding bits slide into all 4 slots (there are two slots on the stand connector, and two slots on the TV itself). Try slotting the stand connector into the TV BEFORE screwing it to the stand to see what I mean, but it eliminates the upwards angle completely and bolts the TV upright! Sorry if that was a bit too convoluted but let me know if you still can't get it sorted after reading this and I'll be happy to answer any of your questions pal.

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Aug 2013 20:00:52 BDT
Me Again says:
Thanks for the info. I sat with the tv like that for about 2 weeks before I took it all to pieces and did it again (properly). My wife laughed her backside off (I am an engineer!)
‹ Previous 1 Next ›