1.0 out of 5 stars really hard to activate, 25 April 2012
This review is from: Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4, Student and Teacher Edition (Mac/PC) (DVD-ROM)
I can not recommend the student edition of lightroom 4. The experience to get the license key is very poor. I received my purchase on April 2nd, I have opened a case with Adobe and have supplied additional information requested by them. I am a student in a master program at a public UK university. To this date I still have not received my serial number. A phone call to Adobe support is painful, it takes you several minutes to get through a menu to reach the right person, it required 8 minutes of waiting time and once you have a customer service associate on the line, you need to repeat what is mentioned in the support case and then they finally hang up on you. I'm not buying any Adobe products anymore, they just don't treat their customers with respect. Activating an educational license could be done so much easier.

Update: after 25 days, one long phone call and a long one-hour text chat with a customer service associate, they finally gave me my serial number. The software can be good, but I don't think it justifies the trouble I had to go through to get my serial number.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 6 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 11 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 26 Apr 2012 07:36:01 BDT
Closed says:
I was considering this over the past few weeks, but was concerned about the lengthy process that was described in the information provided about how to get the actual license to get the software to work. Amazon just sent me another advertising email about this product as they can see I have been looking at it repeatedly, so I came back to consider purchasing once again. Just read your review and I have decided, based on your review, not to purchase. Not because of Amazon, Amazon are great! but because of your experience in trying to actually obtain a license for this product, when you are quite clearly a student (who the product is marketed at) and if you cannot get one, then I assume I will have the same difficulty. I do not need the hassle at all, and am not prepared to shell out my money to have to wait months for what I am legally entitled to: a license!

Sorry you are having these difficulties. Thanks for warning other students out here. It sounds a nightmare!

In reply to an earlier post on 8 May 2012 10:51:45 BDT
TheProf says:
I'm a university lecturer (and so qualify as a teacher for this versionb) and can report I also had a problem getting the product activation code from Adobe - seemed to have to jump through many hoops. I corresponded via email to get it resolved and it did seem better than phone but they never seemed happy with whatever ID proof I presented. Frustrating. BUT you can use the software in demo mode to start with so you are not locked out completely.

Posted on 14 May 2012 00:02:19 BDT
Kim Fyson says:
I have to say that as a teacher in a private UK sixth form college I had no problems at all with Adobe sending me a code within a few days of me sending them confirmation of my status. I sent a scan of my building access swipe card and a pay slip.

Posted on 20 May 2012 13:02:47 BDT
Lisa Li says:
I have to agree with this - Adobe has NO respect for their customers and it's extremely frustrating having to call, email, chat and Facebook them for WEEKS in order to get a serial. I guess they prefer people using free pirated copies, so they can not be bothered with paying customers. Unacceptable!!!

Posted on 28 Jun 2012 09:34:49 BDT
Last edited by the author on 28 Jun 2012 09:38:37 BDT
James says:
I have to agree with most of the comments here. You have to jump through so many hoops to get your serial number. Such a poor customer experience from Adobe. If I had known in advance the headache this would have caused I would have bought the full retail version of this product for an additional £40. Lightroom 4 however is a excellent product.

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Nov 2012 22:31:03 GMT
Tiggster says:
I'm starting to think the same thing .... Wish I'd seen your comments before I went for this version. I have already used my 30 day trial and then bought the student teacher edition. After 45 minutes on the phone for the second time with Adobe, I demanded to speak to someone who understands English. It is incredibly frustrating. I now regret not shelling out for the full price. It wouldn't have made much difference anyway with the amount of time spent on the phone to 0845 numbers. Typically, if you dial the sales line, the staff speak perfect English .... go figure. They seem to assume that those who use any support portal or support line have done something stupid.

Posted on 15 Dec 2012 09:49:33 GMT
Tax Payer says:
I too am having difficulty getting either a response from Adobe or my product key. Before ordering I followed the advice on the Adobe web-site and 'phone their number to check eligibility. I was advised that from my details I was eligible which papered good but then he said that he was not the correct person to speak to, albeit I called the advertised number, and he did not know who to contact. He then advised that I should buy but would get a full refund if Adobe would not give me the key. I applied over a week ago and as instructed by their initial response email, as their offered time limit to approve had passed, sought help on-line. A polite and courteous individual advised that my case would be escalated and the key would be issued witching 24 hours. Unfortunately nothing received. It is a great pity that a good product is let down by very poor customer service and failure to meet stated deadlines. It would appear that Adobe does not have interest in its customers and after sales service, preferring only to sell and let the customer down. Fortunately I bought via Amazon and should be able to get my money back, as suggested by Adobe even before I purchased.

Posted on 20 Feb 2013 09:10:59 GMT
Mr.L says:
The problem seems to be common to many people - the common link seems to be with people who "call" Adobe - big mistake? Do it all online, via Adobe's activation portal and I have had three different products LR 3, 4 and CS 6 Creative suites, over the last couple of years. All my activations were done in less than 48 hours.

I have even been able to sucessfully solicitate Adobe's chat service to VERY good effect - Exceptional service all around.

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Feb 2013 09:59:32 GMT
Nicolas@AWS says:
hi Mr. L. The problem is that you can't successfully complete activation through the portal. As you need to supply additional information to activate a student license, you're depending on them answering on your online case. As for my two licenses (PS CS2 student, LR4 student), they just closed my case without giving me my activation code with a stupid excuse, I was relying on their phone support. I did supply all required information in my first online case with them. It's just seems Adobe doesn't care treating their student customers with respect.

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Feb 2013 11:45:28 GMT
Last edited by the author on 20 Feb 2013 14:38:19 GMT
Mr.L says:
Hi Nicholas, as I've already stated, I've already bought three different products. The online ADOBE portal has the ability to upload the the required evidence in PDF, or any other image format.

I have bought my Adobe student software from both Amazon and Adobe, directly. In either case, the process was same - using Adobe's online process for activation.

If you need more tips then I can provide them.

All the best.

Edit - I'm wondering if it matters what university/school you go to? I know for a fact that my univerisity has an enterprise-wide license agreement with Adobe - so, could it be that as a student at this univerisity, that is already paying Adobe a lot of money, could possibly give me an added advantage?
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›