3.0 out of 5 stars Frustrating lack of thought by the publisher, 13 April 2013
This review is from: It's All Good: Delicious, Easy Recipes that Will Make You Look Good and Feel Great (Hardcover)
I have just received this book from Amazon and started reading through it. The recipes themselves look okay, but it has clearly been written for an American market. Not a problem, necessarily, but unfortunately the publishers have put virtually no effort whatsoever into presenting the book to an English market.

On the less serious side, the recipes primarily use spoon and cup measurements, which I have no issue with. A set of spoons and cups is easy and cheap to pick up and actually convenient to use, so no problems there. They also use American names for ingredients, scallions for spring onions, cilantro instead of coriander, etc. Again not that much of an issue.

Where it really starts getting annoying is the times when the recipes use weighed ingredients: a three to four pound chicken,for example, or a 14-ounce can of beans, with no metric alternative. Even more irritatingly, oven temperature is only given in fahrenheit in the recipe instructions.

While the book does provide you with a 'handy' conversion table at the back, it baffles me why they couldn't have included alternative measurements in the recipes themselves, rather than force me to flick to the back to double-check (and it doesn't solve my gripe about the weights either).

It's probably not worth returning the book over, but it does show real laziness on the part of the publisher, and it's an irritation which could have been so easily prevented with some pretty minor editing of the recipes.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 19 Apr 2013 23:33:35 BDT
S. Black says:
Very useful comments. Has made me think twice about buying this book. I often try American recipes online thinking I'll figure it out or that the conversions will be easy, but actually, it's a pain in the ass.

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Apr 2013 16:21:46 BDT
Jayne says:
I agree - thanks for this. I'm not sure that I want it if everything is in 'American' - makes it a hassle for a recipe book that's meant to be about quick and easy!

Posted on 27 Apr 2013 16:43:48 BDT
Ah! now you know how an American feels living in the UK! :) I find weighing out ingredients a pain in the backside! lol!

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Jun 2013 12:21:49 BDT
Kathryn May says:
YES!! Totally agree! I will get this for my kindle if its available and thanks for the review, just made me want to get it! LOL!

Posted on 1 Jul 2013 02:32:48 BDT
E.S. says:
I complained about the exact same thing on the American Amazon. Good job pointing that out, let's hope the publisher will see these and add our measurements in the next books.

Posted on 31 Jul 2013 20:31:05 BDT
Paddypaw says:
I must say, I bought and loved her other book. It doesn't really bother me the American measurements as I have many American cookbooks. I will definitely give this one a go. On a side note, I'm in Northern Ireland, and we call them scallions too lol!

In reply to an earlier post on 12 Aug 2013 22:29:58 BDT