2.0 out of 5 stars Cynical Marketeering, 19 Nov 2012
This review is from: Born To Die - The Paradise Edition (Audio CD)
I loved Born To Die, released earlier in 2012, however I refuse to purchase the same album again to get the new tracks. 'The Paradise Edition' is being given the full marketing push, so why couldn't this be released as a completely new album with all 11 tracks?

Numerous acts are doing this. Lady GaGa, Katy Perry, Nicki Manaj, Take That and many more have all re-released albums with extra tracks within a year of the original album release. In this day and age when record sales are apparently in the doldrums and CD sales in particular are suffering, how is this lazy way of promoting artists the way forward?

Whilst I may purchase this in time to come (when it becomes cheaper) as I do want the extra tracks, I'm annoyed at the tactics of the record companies and wonder how much say the actual artists get in the decision making regarding the release of their music. Back in the 1970's, artists would often release an album every year. Now they release two of the same album every year. Progress? Don't think so!

*Note my rating has no relation to the music within but simply the way it's being sold. I gave the Born To Die album 5/5 stars upon release and still feel this is the correct rating for such a unique and compelling album which stands up after repeat listens. The extra 11 tracks here may well be worthy of the same. If they had been released seperately on a new album, this CD would be in my stereo now and no doubt garnering 5 stars, however I cannot I cannot bring myself to part with cash on such a blatant cash-in.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 20 Nov 2012 16:03:21 GMT
Huscarl says:
You are of course right in what you say, another two or three tracks maybe from Lana's back catalog would have made this an amazing stand alone album, I only wish I had your willpower to wait. I will justify treating myself by making a gift of my copy of BTD deluxe edition but years of pleasure for less than a tenner still sounds like a bargain to me.

Posted on 25 Nov 2012 17:04:06 GMT
Last edited by the author on 25 Nov 2012 17:05:19 GMT
I agree with you completely. I bought Born to Die without even knowing that a 'deluxe' edition had been released simultaneously, so I basically paid the same amount for that album that I could now be paying for this album which has not only the bonus tracks but also a whole new CD with 8 songs. I am so hacked off. The same thing has happened with Katy Perry, and because I received her original album as a gift I cannot even sell it on and buy the 'updated' version.

This makes me cynical about going out and pre-ordering any of my favourite artists anymore, because I keep thinking 'well they'll be re-releasing this cheaply and with bonus tracks later this year, so why bother'. And that's really kind of sad.

Posted on 28 Nov 2012 16:15:29 GMT
M Hoyle says:
Just as a side to assist you in your predicament!! The second disc can be bought as an EP entitled Paradise! So all you have to do is buy that instead. I hope I've been helpful.

Posted on 19 Dec 2012 13:39:53 GMT
M. Brown says:
You still get thirty three fresh minutes of classic Lana, plus if you only bought the original non-deluxe version of the album, you get those three extra songs as well (and Lucky Ones is a must-own track), so in fact you do get a whole album's worth of tracks if that's the case. Of course it's a marketing ploy, of course it's rampant, but don't deny Lana in this way; I would have paid twenty pound for the extra material, it's that good. Alot of these special editions feature rubbish like remixes and demos; this is prime material, some of it better than what was on the original album, an album that was clearly filtered by the record company. So do the only sensible thing. Buy it.

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Dec 2013 22:01:02 GMT