5.0 out of 5 stars My perfect 'take-anywhere' camera, 12 Aug. 2012
This review is from: Sony DSCRX100 Advanced Digital Compact Premium Camera with Large 1-inch Sensor and Bright High Quality Lens (Camera)
I bought the RX100 just before my summer holiday in Greece and took to it at once. 4 weeks on I continue to be really happy with it. This is a personal thing but my main reasons are:

1) Capable of delivering wonderfully detailed images with the 20M pixel sensor and Zeiss Lens
2) Genuinely pocketable, this camera goes everywhere with me now
3) Very fast to use, from power-on it is ready to go and the focus never leaves me waiting
4) LCD display is excellent even in the Mediterranean sun, at no point did I wish I had a viewfinder
5) (Almost) silent shutter means that your photography is discrete when necessary
6) It can be used just like a 'point & shoot' - a friend or passing waiter can use it without any instruction
7) The menu system and customisation is clear and very comprehensive - I don't have a DSLR but I doubt there is much in the way of DSLR options missing from this camera.
8) Built-in flash works well for fill-in and has exposure compensation to -2EV; for me that is exactly what I want
9) Build quality is great - it is a pleasure to hold and when others pick it up they instantly realise it is a quality camera

I am coming to the conclusion that this is a camera with at least two personalities. On the one hand the RX100 is an excellent conventional compact camera which allows the photographer to think like a photographer considering ISO, speed, aperture and focus to produce the image seen in your mind's eye. On the other hand having used a range of the advanced features, especially the HDR options and the low-light features I have been absolutely amazed at the situations where this camera is able to grab an attractive picture. My results are maybe a little less predictable but the best are very good.

There have been some critical comments about flare in the lens but I have only one picture so far where I consider the flare is disfiguring. It was shot directly into the morning sun. I have many other successful pictures with the sun in shot and so I was not that upset by this one failure.

In-camera charging from USB has been a boon for me. Laptop or phone charger in car, boat or hotel room. It all works. And the RX100 only needed 3 charges in 2 weeks on holiday so I stopped worrying about battery life quite quickly. However, for those that can't afford the risk of a flat battery I see there is an affordable option (Sony NP-BX1 Charger)from "nikon-olympus-battery.co.uk"

The item I do think is missing from the box is an in-depth user guide/manual. However, a quick search on the internet led me to the US site "esupport.sony.com" followed by a search under Manuals for DSC-RX100 and that has answered most of my questions.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 13 Aug 2012 12:55:18 BDT
Last edited by the author on 13 Aug 2012 12:56:56 BDT
Zak Ventis says:
I'm slightly concerned about the Sony NP-BX1 Charger you refer to. It has only two terminals (+/-ve) which means there is no 'T' (temperature) terminal sensing the condition of the battery and providing the charger with cutoff feedback; with a possible risk of blowing up the battery!!!

Maybe better to wait until November when Sony are predicted to produce a camera-specific charger (at a price!).

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Aug 2012 20:54:55 BDT
M David says:
Yes you make a valid point but I read somewhere else (I can't remember where) that this is not an issue, presumably because the battery is open to the air and cools easily (in UK anyway) and maybe the charge rate is limited. However, I didn't buy this product and so I can't give any feedback. I would tend to trust products sold under the Nikon and Olympus brands and at £20 it is not what would consider a big financial risk. As you say, I also doubt the Sony charger when available will be quite such good VFM.

Posted on 6 Sep 2012 21:59:16 BDT
Last edited by the author on 30 Sep 2012 14:37:44 BDT
Sam-Theo says:
I am using, constantly, an Ex-pro version of NP-BX1 in my RX100 (keeping the original as a fully charged spare!), NO PROBLEMS WHATSOEVER. Price £11.00.
I am sure Ex-pro will come up with a compatible, reasonably priced charger for NP-BX1 long before Sony do anything about it. Worth looking out for.
UPDATE:
30th Sept.- Since writing the above comment, I have obtained Ex-pro's "Universal Charger", an unusual 'gadget', but charges NB-BX1, (Sony's as well as their own, and many others) without problems. Cost approx. £11.00.

Posted on 17 Jun 2013 09:49:43 BDT
N. Brown says:
Hi I'm in the market to buy a new Camera I like this one but also like the Sony HX50 because of the x30 zoom the question is, do I need a x30 zoom or would the difference in quality of image on the 100 allow me to crop the image on my computer therefore equaling an image taken on the x30 zoom? Does this make sense I hope so. Nice review by the way sold it better than the guy in the Sony Centre who baffled me! Cheers.

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Jun 2013 13:13:33 BDT
M David says:
Thanks for the nice words. I was interested to see the HX50 come out with the WiFi and multi-function hot shoe as well as x30 lens. It seems a great package. Interestingly the RX100 is being updated this month too and will also add WiFi, multi-function hot shoe and tiltable screen. We don't know price or release date yet. There was an interesting thread on DPReview (http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/51613334) which discusses the RX100 and Panasonic LX7 and how they handle 'digital zoom'. As the LX7 is a standard (small) sensor like the Sony HX50 the same arguments would apply in terms of relative quality. The larger sensor wins on a like for like basis. However, the HX50 has no need of that with a 30x optical zoom and the RX100 is never going to get close to that magnification which is 7x more. You would be down to about 780 x 520 pixels if you cropped the RX100 images which is not enough. Also I think framing the shots would be almost impossible. So if you really feel the longer zoom is important the HX50 is the way to go but I suspect you can't quite escape from the limitations of the smaller sensor however hard Sony tries.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›