5.0 out of 5 stars A good Ultrabook for work/travel, 20 Sept. 2012
This review is from: Samsung Series 9 NP900X3B 13.3 inch Ultrabook (Intel Core i5 2467M 1.6GHz, 4Gb RAM, 128Gb SSD, LAN, WLAN, BT, Webcam, Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit) (Personal Computers)
My 2008 Toshiba Portege has been hammered over the last four years by extensive travel abroad to mainly developing/recovering/conflict regions. As I have got older (mid 60s now), I have found the weight becoming more and more of a literal burden on my ageing frame.

I did a lot of research over the last six months. The Mac Air was a contender at one stage, I already have an iPad (April this year), however I do not like the Apple business model.

I purchased my Samsung Series 9 13.3" at the beginning of August and am happy after a few weeks of use. The latest model is also available now in the 15" screen version, however, my 13.3" is ideal for travel in terms of dimensions (it fits in nicely into my work backpack) and weight (1.2kg), a pleasure.

It is so thin, yet sturdy with its aluminium-based body. The screen is bigger than my Toshiba, although I still tend to use it on a desk (standing or sitting) on a collapsible stand with the screen at arms' length, the optimum position for my eyes/glasses, and at a desk I use an existing external keyboard (MS BT Wireless Mobile Keyboard 6000, compact and strong enough for travel).

It has taken a few weeks to get used to the 'travel' of the flat 'Scrabble tile' keys when using it without the external keyboard, but I'm finding the larger size keys fine to use when the Samsung is on my lap (as now typing this review) or in-flight table.

Due to the thin profile, I've bought a Samsung external DVD. Overall, the weight of the Series 9 plus the DVD and the smaller, compact power adapter (compared to the older Toshiba) is way below the Toshiba and its power adapter.

The 128 Gb SSD drive is less than half the capacity of my Toshiba, however I always carry an external portable HDD (WD My Passport 1 TB) anyway, to keep my older data and archives, photos etc. There is merit in having a smaller drive on the Series 9 clear of unnecessary data, the more so because of the very fast speed of the SSD technology. My current data files are also backed up via Dropbox.

Battery life is obviously better than a 2008 vintage model, I have not yet found the maximum nor the optimum way to run on battery. I always tend to use a reliable electricity supply available, sometimes a problem abroad.

One caveat: due to the very thin profile of the Samsung Series 9, despite the thin keys, there is a danger that if the screen and keyboard are compressed together, eg in a briefcase, the keys could 'etch' onto the screen. I though I saw signs of this very early on, so I bought via amazon a couple of bonded cloth mats (one a spare) SIGNALEX brand, seeh ttp://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0029TYQDC/ref=oh_details_o02_s01_i00 The mat doubles a a screen protector when the notebook is closed and can be used as a mouse mat during use. I also bought a leather sleeve for external protection and for carrying the Samsung around in my hand.

The Series 9 comes with a micro-HDMI cable for a Ethernet cable connection (the chassis to too thin to house the socket), I also bought a micro-HDMI cable for a VGA connection as I often work with an external monitor with my notebook in extended screen mode.

Buying a new computer is always risky, I have no regrets about my latest purchase.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]