5.0 out of 5 stars DOFF MY CAP, 14 July 2013
This review is from: The Rolling Stones: The Biggest Bang [DVD] [2007] (DVD)
Pretty much the last decade or so I would snort with derision at the mention of The Stones....my image of them was of money grabbing rockers who played endless stadium tours charging inflated prices and in a perpetual state of v.i.p seclusion.
This changed a couple of Saturdays ago when I watched them at Glastonbury.
I thought they ruled.BIG TIME.In my opinion they embarrassed every other band who are in some cases 45 years younger.Artic Monkeys???I nearly passed out in bleary eyed boredom as the band bashed out tunes that all sounded alike....sexless,zero charisma....bizarrely dressed like Richard Hawleys nephews.The Vaccines???Boil in the bag top shop indie.
Jagger was just immense....strutting around with the energy of a teen on heat.And the TUNES....Start Me Up,Sympathy For The Devil,Brown Sugar,Jumpin Jack Flash...on and on it went bashing the audience over the head and highlighting everything missing from bands of today.
These dudes are rock stars.Us mere mortals need to be separated.Thats how it was.No photos of Jagger in trackies buying a loaf of bread.....he would get the finest flown in with its own first class seat on a plane.
All over the t'net,papers everyone was talking about it.Whether you thought "we are not worthy" or [I pity you]"rubbish" you had an opinion and that speaks volumes about a band that have been knocking about for 50 years and have the combined age of a dinosaur.People mocked in the usual ageist,british sneery way but to me the legacy of this band is nothing but astonishing.
Anyway Bigger Bang is a generous 4 dvd set jobbie featuring a gigantic show in Rio and Texas,this as is Stones style a monster tour.Whats so mind blowing is the demographic of audience kids,blonde babes,crusty rockers,tipsy housewives,bank managers,moustaches,beards.....all here.
If 80,000 fans want to pay 100 squid for a ticket,who is anyone to argue???Everyone looks like they are having a whale of a time.Something more then money is driving these guys.....Jagger is still driven,still ambitious....playing for two hours all over the world for a year at this level at their age is not easy.
Sorry if my review reads more as a rant but hey so what.
The Rolling Stones are an amazing band.Greedy...yeah but shrewd.
Ultimately when boiled down its about THE SONGS.Songs that 30 40 years later still rock,still roll,still excite and resonate.
We ain't ever going to see the likes of them again.
Pay some respect!!!
Essential dvd,great entertainment,greatest band.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 24 Jul 2013 16:03:16 BDT
Nelson Viper says:
Cool review. I think the thing with a lot of modern rock and especially the allegedly hip stuff is that it's essentially an impersonation that has the same relationship to the real thing as michael buble does to sinatra. Nice people doing nice versions of music that was made by weirdos and monsters.. I watched a documentary about the Eagles recently, coz they were my mother's favourite band, and even they were more rock than the average indie band.

Posted on 24 Jul 2013 19:40:36 BDT
mister joe says:
Thanks very much Viper.I love The Eagles actually and own the doc you are talking about.They were really rock and roll....mountains of marching powder,hordes of groupies,private jets and spades of "creative differences".
Years ago I would have scoffed at The Eagles in derisive snobbery,now I own all the albums.
Hotel California is a great album.
Recently I have been listening to "old" bands largely Talking Heads and The Stones.I think I am getting old but most of the newer crop of bands do zero for me.Though I think Everything Everythings Cough Cough was an amazing single.
Cheers for reading I will check out your reviews too.I read your one for the new Maniac movie which I watched a few nights ago,the more I think about it the more I liked it.Adored the scene where they recreated the vhs cover on the car door.
All the best.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.5 out of 5 stars (28 customer reviews)

24.99