5.0 out of 5 stars awesome, 4 Sept. 2010
This review is from: The Infernal Devices 1: Clockwork Angel (Paperback)
I was offered this book last week for review by the publishers and the mere thought of receiving it filled me with excitment. Now have since received (mega mega excited) and read the book I can honestly say it met and exceeded all of my expectations. Put simply this book rocks.

I have only just recently got into Cassandra Clare having only just read the first book in the Mortal Instruments triology. I did think it was possible but I think probably love this series even more.

First off the historian in me loved the setting of this book. I loved the fact that it was so victorian, complete with the dingy streets and rubbish weather.Ii also loved the fact that it was researched well and that you could imagine it actually having happened. I kept expecting Jack the Ripper to pop up and get a royal butt kicking from Will. I loved the fact that poor Tessa was so horrified (as a proper victorian lady would) that Charlotte wore trousers and that Sophie, a mere servant, spoke back to Will.

Tessa as a character grows on you. I'm sure she will be compared to Clary and it'll be argued that she isn't as fiesty. My argument would be that she comes from a completely different world in which women are expected to be the perfect ladies and the thought that she would even back chat someone would be scandalous. I liked seeing how she comes out of the shell as the book progresses and can see much promise for the character as she grows into the person she is finally going to be.

As with Mortal Instruments there are a host of other characters who draw you in. Will and Jem are very much a double act who you can't help but love. Charlotte and Henry are also wonderfully endearing as Leaders of the institute. I loved the parts when Charlotte goes wading in with the boys in the middle of the fights Sally Lockhart stylee.

I found the whole notion of clockwork soldirs extremely creepy (in my head all I kept imagining were the Clockwork manequins out of doctor who) the whole notion freaked me out somewhat and made from brilliant reading when they were involved in any fights.

The final battle of the story was gripping. Without giving anything away I didn't see any of the twists or surprises coming and thought the outcome set up the charcaters brilliant for the next book in the series.

All in all an excellent book which I encourage you to read even if you haven't read mortal instruments. Although the book is a prequel apart from brief references nothing crosses over yet - I am hoping they might in the future. I literally cannot wait for the next one!!

[...]

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]