25 of 27 people found the following review helpful
210 or 410?
, 21 Aug. 2012
This review is from: Garmin Forerunner 410 GPS Sportswatch with Heart Rate Monitor (Electronics)
After some pain staking research into HRM/GPS watches (reading all the reviews, including DC Rainmaker) I was still completely undecided between the 210 and 410. With only a tenner between them, price wasn't the issue, however the reviews seemed to indicate that although the 410 offered more functionality, the touch bezel (although improved since the 405) made it more difficult to use. I was so undecided that I ordered both. After running through the manuals and playing with both, to me there's no contest - the 410 wins hands down and here's why:
1. It has changeable fields (you can set your own preference on the data you want and it's not complicated. This is particularly useful if you plan to use the device for cycling.
2. You can transfer data remotely using the ANT USB devise provided and the charger is a two pin connection instead of the 5 pin, IMO more difficult to use connector that comes with the 210.
3. It looks better, comes with changeable straps and seems more solid - the 210 strap is completely integrated with the watch case and seems rather flimsy IMO.
4. The touch bezel takes a little getting used to, but all the set up is done pre-run and cycle, you can lock the bezel and auto scroll through the 4 data screens or switch screens with a tap of the bezel. Having tried both, the touch bezel really isn't an issue.
5. You can shut the GPS down manually with the 410, which allows you to go into power save mode immediately following your run/cycle.
6. The 410 has the Virtual Partner option, which enables you set a target pace or course and race against it - great if you're looking for some additional motivation or to improve PB. I've not raced yet but if participating in a set distance run where the temptation is to start too quickly, his will no doubt prove invaluable.
Finally, I've had the 410 well over a month now and I can honestly say it's been excellent. Satellite fix is rapid and secure whilst the battery lasts well (at least a week for me and thats using it most days). The premium heart rate strap that came with the watch is very comfortable and connects immediately without issue. If you're looking for some motivation and great training tool, you will not be disappointed!
Help other customers find the most helpful reviews
Was this review helpful to you?