2.0 out of 5 stars If you're looking for traditional-sounding nursery rhymes this album is NOT worth it, 17 Feb. 2012
This review is from: The Nursery Rhyme Collections (33 Musicians Create a Nursery Rhymes Masterpiece) (MP3 Download)
After being encouraged by the positive reviews I read before ordering this album, I was very disappointed when I listened to this excuse for music. I got the impression the songs were an attempt to be 'easy listening' or 'soft jazz' but nursery rhymes are already easy to listen to and based on rhythms. There just isn't any point trying to 'soften' nursery rhymes further. Even the attempts to add fun or an upbeat tempo to some songs haven't worked. The way most of these songs have been done sucks the fun out of learning nursery rhymes and singing along to music. Very few of the songs are actually suitable for bedtime and my 10 month old does not enjoy them at any time of the day bar about 5 songs. You get the feeling the songs have been done in this way to be more acceptable to those who have not been taught nursery rhymes. The 'real sounds' are just children's voices at the beginning of some songs.

One of the worst things is the rock and roll element on some songs (i.e. georgie peorgie, my bonnie lies over the ocean, what shall we do with a grumpy sailor (should be drunken sailor). This last song is 'jazzed up' in a really annoying way - between the chorus and verses they actually say 'shabba, shabba' and shout something else which you can't make out properly. It just makes the songs difficult to listen to.

Some songs have bits added at the beginning that have no place there such as 'row row row your boat'. I don't get why at the beginning they sing the words 'Don't know how to do that' a few times before starting the song. The song itself is ok. The jazz part of some songs makes it quite unbearable such as 'incy wincy spider'. There are a few 'yeahs' and laughs at the start of this song as if it's proper jazz music but to me they don't have a place in a nursery rhyme. I was unimpressed that the alphabet song just sounded so whiny and that 'zed' was pronounced 'zee'.

I regret going anywhere near these songs.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 18 Feb 2012 10:39:15 GMT
Last edited by the author on 18 Feb 2012 12:54:20 GMT
Thank you for your feedback. As the producer of this product I am truly sorry that you have made these comments and feel this way about a product that we care about passionately. It is encouraging of course that you seem to be the minority in your opinion and most people have seemed to have understood the concept we have tried so hard to acheive. That is of course that the Nursery Rhymes are produced in a style that the adult can enjoy as well as the child. For example 'My Bonnie Lies Over The Ocean' that you quoted is recorded as The Beatles' version.

You also mention 'What Shall We Do With The Grumpy Pirate'; of course as you correctly illustrate, we have used the 'new' politically correct version of this traditional nursery rhyme (as released in the UK Times in 2009) and we are actually very proud to have produced the first released recording of this new PC version. We felt it was far better for children than talking about Pirates drinking whiskey in excess, etc.

We have attempted to take Nursery Rhymes into the modern era, record them in very high quality, make them modern, 'listenable' and enjoyable to all ages, as well as interesting children in the concept of music as well as the many varying genres and instruments available including the vast array sounds they can produce.

Please let me suggest that you retain the CD's and try them as your child grows, I am sure you will be able to find the pleasure laced in this product. It is especially rewarding to play at birthday parties, etc.

Posted on 19 Feb 2012 20:57:04 GMT
Littlespy says:
Didn't enjoy these at all, neither did my baby and a toddler. These are rhymes with music for teenagers, except that teenagers will not want to listen to nursery songs. Really disappointed.

Posted on 15 Mar 2012 13:29:06 GMT
Biffer Spice says:
negative reviews don't get much love in the way of likes, but thanks - your comments reinforce one side of the argument i was having with myself about it. i'm all for good musicianship, but these things are such standards, i think you can stick to what it should be and still play it beautifully. the things you've mentioned in your review make me realise i'd hate this too! thanks for saving me some money :)

Posted on 4 Apr 2012 20:40:35 BDT
[Deleted by the author on 4 Apr 2012 20:41:20 BDT]

Posted on 4 Apr 2012 20:44:10 BDT
[Deleted by the author on 4 Apr 2012 20:46:14 BDT]

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Jul 2012 16:52:17 BDT
Be our guest and try to find a product which is standard and played beautifully. I hunted for this product and it doesn't exisit. Our versions are not deviating from the nursery rhyme, they simply have a modern and real accompanyment. Thanks for your comments in this thread.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›