4.0 out of 5 stars Emma, 26 Nov. 2007
This review is from: Lewis Hamilton: My Story (Hardcover)
I don't understand why some are rating this book 1 star! I don't know exactly what you were expecting after all this is a 22 year old young man barely into adulthood, although understandably you would be forgiven for forgetting, his maturity belies his age. Evidently some haven't even read it at all but still feel entitled to review? Anyway I personally chose to buy the only book by the man himself (albeit ghostwritten) out of all 7 as I am thouroughly fascinated by his whole being and not just his racing. That curiosity is answered and to put it simply LEWIS IS HIS FATHER'S SON and he leaves you in no doubt at all (if ever there was any) that he is who he is in everyway because of his father, followed closely by his stepmum Linda and brother Nic. The only dissapointment I would say is the deliberate censorship of his real mum and her side of the family from the story, if you ask me that is where the juicy stuff is. So if you are looking for some warts and all story, you won't find it here but that should come as no surprise as he has shown that he is honed to perfection by the PR machine.
It is also nice to relive the joy and pain of this gone season with him so to speak, with the China nightmare poignantly standing out. That was gut wrenching for all that were rooting for him and he allows you to step on the other side, looking from the inside. A lot has been censored but as I said he's into his first year not a great stage to be spilling the beans and all and possibly not that many beans anyway. At best it is a very inspiring story of a young boy with a dream and a super solid family behind him and his dream (or their dream should I say). I shall be looking forward to the sequel, hopefully a tell-all memoir.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-1 of 1 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 19 Aug 2008 10:49:49 BDT
Dan says:
I think your post there Emma sums up most of the book. I don't mean I agree with your point that it's good, I mean I could have just read your post and not bothered buying the incredibly vague book. Like you say, most of the "juicy" stuff is left out and it's PR perfect.
I've got nothing against the man. People I know through racing that met him say he's very nice, and he's obviously very good at his job. And quite frankly, if someone came up to me and said, "write a quick account of your life so far, and we'll be able to get it out by Christmas and make enough money for you to buy your mum a couple of nice houses" I'd be reaching for the pencil myself!
I just didn't find it interesting, every page seemed to be "I went to race x and my dad helped me and i won/lost and that was cool/sad and I believed in myself and I love my family...." Still, you enjoyed it, so that's fine. People differ.
-As an aside, the next autobiography book I read was Slash's. By the time he was 22, he'd been a smack addict for 4 years, released one of the biggest albums in rock, got the clap, been a kleptomaniac and lived in a garage whilst sleeping with models. So remember kids, you CAN have a cool life by 22! (If not one that's particularly positive!)
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.7 out of 5 stars (48 customer reviews)

Used & New from: £0.01