4.0 out of 5 stars This is exactly what Roger Moore fans should add to their DVD shelf !, 6 Aug 2008
This review is from: The Saint - The Complete Colour Series (14 Disc Box Set) [DVD] (DVD)
Having been an ardent fan of Sir Roger Moore for nearly a decade, getting this DVD box was an exciting experience!

In my country, Sir Roger Moore is almost always remembered as James Bond due to the fact that very few of his other films are available and only a handful of big Roger Moore fans know this THE SAINT.

Thanks to the development of the Internet, we Asians living in the Far East can have access to what, for a long time, have been available only to those living in English speaking countries, and now that I've watched some of the many episodes included in this box , I can say that I really made a wise purchase.

I can strongly recommend this product for the below reasons:

1:The quality of the images is excellent, I mean they are beautifully re-mastered and the generous reduction on this excellent DVD box was also so attractive.

2:Sir Roger Moore as Simon Templar is very reminiscent of James Bond and it tells very well why, Ian Flemings, author of 007 wanted him to portray the role he created.

3:THE SAINT, in any form, DVD or video is not available in my country Japan and the possession of this legendary TV drama series often works as a excellent conversation starter especially when I meet British or American people of certain generations.

The only disappointing point is that each episode does not come with English subtitles. As a non-native speaker of English, omission of English subtitles forbids me full comprehension of audio materials.

In conclusion, my review may not be helpful as I wrote this from a Asian(non-native English speaker)'s point of view.

All I wish you to understand is that this is what you must have if you want to enjoy one of the treasures your culture(English speaking countries) has produced.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 26 Nov 2009 21:51:38 GMT
LoBo says:
Yes, good review. You write good English. I am also a non-native English speaker. I`m from Norway.

Posted on 18 Jan 2010 03:33:29 GMT
Parisaed says:
I fully agree !!! Not adding subtitles is really a bad point. I would have been interested to buy this product but without english subtitles (or french as I'm french), I do not do it. Like you I will not be able to understand all audio footage, I'm not fluent and I will miss many things.

But same thing happens also in France, french DVD does not come with french subtitles.

And those who are deaf? They do not count? They do not have the right to take benefit of all those marvels? Before with VHS it was a problem to add subtitles in the video but now with DVD, you can turn them off or on as you want.

After that majors whin people go to emule or stuff like that to get films, series, but look, if some people, in their home can create subtitles, why studios can't? At the price we pay !!!! Please.

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Feb 2010 02:22:22 GMT
Kai Hachiya says:
Merci beaucoup pour votre reponse a mon commentaire.
Je suis completement d'accord avec ce que vous avez ecrit.
Je utilise DVD comme moyen d'apprendre des langues entrangeres et si avec sous-titres, ce serait vraiement maginifique!

A propos, est-ce que cet emission anglais ancien connu en France? J'ai ete ettone que ce dvd set contient un peu de version francaise.

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Feb 2010 02:30:45 GMT
Kai Hachiya says:
Thank you very much for complimenting me on my written English.
Although I make a point of giving myself as much time as possible to improve my English, I am always disappointed how little and slowly I make progress in both spoken and written English.

As I have already mentioned in my comment that the omission of the subtitles forbids full comprehension of each episodes the DVD contains, some episodes are really hard to understand and to make matters worse, lack of the knowledge of the Western culture further exacerbates difficulty.

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Mar 2010 23:33:17 GMT
Last edited by the author on 6 Mar 2010 16:35:48 GMT
LoBo says:
Ok, personally, i have no trouble watching this without any subtitles. I have heard English spoken on tv everyday since i was a young child and i learned English in school, so i understand it very well.

Posted on 9 Oct 2012 21:48:35 BDT
Warren Beaty says:
Thank you for your review, I'm very impressed by your language skills. I am a native English speaker, but I also appreciate DVDs that have the option of sub-titles. That's because some dialogues are unclear, so it's useful to be able to check what was said. Fortunately it now seems to be increasingly common to have subtitles.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.8 out of 5 stars (27 customer reviews)

99.99 41.00