4.0 out of 5 stars Fire HDX 8.9 - Great Media consumption device - Amazing Screen, 22 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Kindle Fire HDX 8.9", HDX Display, Wi-Fi, 64 GB - Includes Special Offers (Previous Generation - 3rd) (Electronics)
I have been looking forward to the release of this tablet for some time having previously owned the original Nexus 7. I had found myself purely using my tablet for web browsing and media consuemtion; being a combination of video's, music and games, this along with me being a large Amazon shopper meant that this tablet made sense for me.

I couldn't decide between the 7 or 8.9 version so decided to buy both and then decide after handling them and return the other. For me the 8.9 feels much nicer to hold, is not noticibely heavier in hand as the weight is more spread out and has the added advantage of a very acceptable 8mp rear camera (comparable with smartphone).

The main selling point of this tablet is the screen which looks absoloutly amazing and is as good as if not better than my friends new ipad air, and infact on some videos it actually shows up the poor quality of the streaming. The sound is perfectly acceptable for a tablet and it feels well made, my one dissapointment being how much fingerprints show up on not just the screen but the whole case.

The Mayday feature worked well, taking about 30 seconds to answer and the person on the other end being UK based!!

Coming from a Nexus 7 tablet and my phone being a HTC One with Sense, I have found Amazons OS Fire to be easy to use and whilst not as customisable as normal android it is very intuative (more like the Apple OS) and easy to both set-up and use. The only shame is that native Google apps like Gmail and Maps are not available.

Overall very pleased with this device, however if you go for the larger memory with 4g etc, it does start to look very expensive and on the same price as an ipad air...only time will tell if it can compete. However the lower memory wi-fi versions really do look good value for money, and these are what I would recommend.

Any questions feel free to leave a comment and I will get back to you.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 25 Nov 2013 20:19:19 GMT
LouBell says:
Would you recommend a screen protector?

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Nov 2013 20:59:18 GMT
Smithy says:
I have not got one, and am not considering getting one either... So I would say no, unless you are planning on putting it in a bag without a case.

Posted on 4 Dec 2013 16:08:13 GMT
ln_shadock says:
Hello, what do you mean by native applications as Gmail not available ? Is that not possible to install Gmail via the Android Amazon store ? Is Skype available ?

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Dec 2013 16:15:07 GMT
Smithy says:
Hi, I was referring to applications that are actually made by Google, therefore Gmail, Google Maps, Google Drive etc are not available to download from the app store. I understand this can be done over the internet but I have not and it sounds fairly complicated and involves downloading an apk file, which I would avoid. Skype is available and actually comes pre-installed. Hope this helps..

Posted on 5 Dec 2013 20:55:02 GMT
Elise95 says:
Hi, I noticed that you wanted the tablet for movie's. I was thinking of getting the 64GB and was wondering, is that sufficient enough for lots of movies? Thanks

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Dec 2013 14:07:41 GMT
"is that sufficient enough for lots of movies?" Define "lots".
In principle, yes. It will depend on the movie format & hence the file size.
Assuming you are ripping your own DVDs for viewing on mobile devices you may wish to consider a wireless drive.
Check out the Seagate Media Plus 1TB or the inexpensive SanDisk Wireless Flash 32GB (SanDisk Wireless Media Drive is imminent).
Both worked with my Kindle HDX 8.9"
In fact they work simultaneously with other mobile devices eg. iPad/iPhone
This means that you do not necessarily need to buy the 64GB models (that said I always go for the max).

Kingston have similar products to SanDisk.
Or just go for Streaming options.
At least we all now have plenty of options to suit all pockets & specific requirements.

Posted on 19 Dec 2013 09:29:32 GMT
D. Altham says:
hi, is it possible to watch Netflix on my tv via this device ? thankyou

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Dec 2013 19:50:48 GMT
AluCard IV says:
This device is made and sold by Amazon, who also own Lovefilm, a bitter rival of Netflix. So, I'm guessing no. this wont run netflix, not without some jiggery pokery.(sideloading) I actually want one of these but the prices are still strospheric. around £250 would make me jump in.

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Dec 2013 21:08:46 GMT
Smithy says:
There is in fact a Netflix App available in the Amazon Marketplace, I use this with my Netflix subscription and have been pleased with it and have no issues. You can then stream this to a TV if it supports "Miracast" or via a PS3/PS4... Hope this answers your question.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›