5.0 out of 5 stars Great camera, 7 Aug 2013
This review is from: Fujifilm X100S Digital Camera with Bespoke Case, NP-95 Lithium Battery, Lens Hood and Adapter Ring - Silver (16.3 MP, APS-C 16M X-Trans CMOS II with EXR Processor II) 2.8 inch LCD (Electronics)
Greetings,

I'm not a pro photographer, photography is my hobby, I'm not the super technical user that will be pixel counting and so on, I simply don't care that much about that.

I own a Canon 7D with 2 L series lenses (f2.8 24-70mm, 70-200mm f2.8 IS), I love the canon, takes beautiful pictures. I love the shutter sound, the ability to control everything without taking my eye from the viewfinder.

I always felt jealous about the point and shoot cameras users, they could take their camera everywhere they go, they would not draw that much attention, they were not instant burglars targets, the canon is and looks like an expensive camera.

After reading many advices and counsel from a pro photographer about the Fuji X100s I decided to buy one.

After 1 week of use and few thousand pictures I can give an honest feedback to anyone who is trying to decide about buying this camera.

The auto mode is easy to setup, meaning: this is not a camera that requires one awful lot of knowledge about exposure to take great pictures, set it on auto and shoot... It takes wonderful pictures, believe me... wonderful. I thought I would be controlling everything (as I do with the Canon) but actually most of the time I'm not a bit concerned about that, the little fuji is taking the decisions, and it does perform superbly.

Jpgs are gorgeous. I shoot RAW and jpg fine (mainly because I'm taking a lot of pictures in B&W and some may be worthy to keep in colour), but actually the jpgs are super, the colours are simply amazing (if you decide to get creative and shoot with the film modes).

The prime lens is amazing, it produces a beautiful light flare, sharp images (f4 up), wonderful smooth bokeh. I'm not missing a zoom really, instead of having a passive approach taking pictures I'm spending more time composing, most of the times you only need to take one step forward or backward to get the desired result, the camera can't zoom... but "you can". The experience is being so good I'll never buy another zoom lenses, I'll buy prime lenses instead, less expensive, less bulkier, better overall performance.

Without getting technical... the camera is silent, very small, it does not scare people, actually... most of the time people will not notice you are taking pictures. This is the cameras best quality compared to the 7D, stealth, discrete, not drawing that much attention.

Overall I'm impressed and delighted with the camera, easy to use, intuitive, and like everyone says - it makes you want to keep shooting.

It will never replace the Canon7D, particularly with the 70-200mm is lens (costing some $2000 USD).

I will use the canon for nature photograpy, landscapes and so on...

Super camera, I love it, and I know I'll not feel the need to replace it in 2 or 3 years time... I guess I'll keep it until it dies, and when it dies... I'll put it on a shelf, design is beatiful.

Cheers

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 3 Jan 2014 03:55:21 GMT
Lego Man says:
Does the auto-mode work right out of the box? You talk about setting it up in your review. I like the camera a lot, but I have little technical knowledge. Is this camera suitable for beginners like me?

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Apr 2014 16:31:07 BDT
VascoPat says:
Hi,

do not know if my answer is going to help you with such a delay.

It is not like Sony where you have 1 dial for portraits, landscape, night pictures, etc.etc...

Still it's easy enough to turn the aperture ring to A and the exposure dial to A... as simple as that (don't recall if they were on A). Of course the camera will be taking all the decisions for you, and that can be problematic, but hey... that's what the Sony is doing... all the time... and you can't turn it off (I can't shoot with a sony).

I would recommend the Fuji if you would like to take photography as an Hobby and you are willing to learn how the camera works (youtube, google should really be enough). if you have the money and the will to learn you'll never be bored with a Fuji, you can manually control everything. Set it on auto and it will do the job just fine.

If you want to take ocasional family pictures you will be better with a small Sony or something like that, probably.

My girlfriend knows nothing about photography and can use the Fuji just fine (she hates the canon 7D). Still last christmas I offered her a Sony, having said that you should draw your conclusions ;)

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Apr 2014 16:51:29 BDT
Lego Man says:
Thanks. I ordered the Fuji X20.

Posted on 20 Jun 2014 09:46:59 BDT
Bruce says:
"The fuji is the camera to take everywhere I go, with friends to the restaurant, for a walk in the park, to visit a museum, to walk on the streets and take pictures."

This just sounds like "snaps" - the sort of thing most people use the camera in their smart phone or tablet for. How can you justify spending nearly £1,000 on something just for this - it seems unbelievable that anybody would do this and a huge indulgence!?

I can understand spending that much on a proper DSLR, but this seems like total madness.

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Jun 2014 15:21:14 BDT
AndrewFi says:
Going back to when we used film, for many years I used SLRs. I also had one of the very first autofocus compact cameras.
My compact cameras were used much more than my SLR because they were small and convenient and with the right compact camera quality was simply not an issue.

In the digital world, most compact cameras are not very good, which is why phone cameras are eating the lunch of compact cameras. If I wanted good quality digital I needed an DSLR.

Now, cameras like the X100s give the quality I want and the size that I can live with. So, paying for the quality is something I am happy to do.

I do not own an X100s, can't afford it. I do have a Fujifilm XF1 which gives me decent quality and a price I could afford. I'd love to have the X100s though.

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Sep 2014 19:49:55 BDT
Jimmy2k says:
It sounds to me like the "snaps" are memories of important things with people he cares about, which is justification enough if he appreciates the image quality.

Speaking of which, if the image quality is as good as or better than a DSLR (which by all accounts it is) then what is the inherent value in buying a "proper DSLR" over this camera?

You seem to be missing the point - this camera takes excellent pictures but at the same time is much more portable than a DSLR and so more likely to be with you when you need to take a good photo.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›