5.0 out of 5 stars My favourite powder at the moment, 18 Sept. 2010
This review is from: Max Factor Creme Puff Compact Powder (Personal Care)
What a brilliant buy this was. It is soo cheap and yet gives better results than many of the excruciatingly expensive high-end powders I've used.

I have a slightly oily T-zone which can become flaky-looking if I use too many powders or other dry facial products. Max Factor's Creme Puff keeps my nose shine-free longer than any other coloured powder I've tried but doesn't accentuate flakiness or dry out my skin at all. I apply it over my primer, concealer and setting powder in the morning and it creates a really smooth, poreless, natural look that lasts until the end of the day. By early afternoon my nose looks slightly glowy but not at all shiny, and if I want to mattify it a bit I simply give myself a dusting of Creme Puff and have flawless skin again in an instant. The coverage is also pretty good for a pressed powder. I wouldn't wear this on its own over my slightly rosacea-prone nose, but when applied over concealer the redness is almost entirely eliminated.

There are a couple of drawbacks, the obvious one being the smell. Creme Puff has a VERY powdery (and probably artificial) scent, which could deter some people. It isn't that the smell is unpleasant - it harks back to glamorous 1920s ladies powdering their noses in front of their vanity tables - but it's just SO strong. I have got used to it now though, and it does vanish once you've applied the powder and put the compact away.

More annoying than the smell, in my opinion, is the sponge that is supplied with the compact. It's really abrasive and scratchy and does not allow you to apply the powder smoothly. I quickly disposed of it and am now using the lovely soft sponge from one of my old compacts. I'd recommend you do the same to ensure the best, smoothest application.

As far as choosing the correct shade goes, the little colour squares on the amazon page actually seem fairly accurate. I have very pale skin so went for what I presumed was the fairest shade, Truly Fair. It has turned out to be a good match, and I would recommend it for most pale-skinned women. It does have slightly pinky undertones, but luckily this hasn't emphasised any redness on my skin at all. If you have very bad rosacea or acne, though, you might be better off going for a more yellowy shade such as Candle Glow.

This is a very effective and very inexpensive product, which I imagine is why it's been around for so long. Hopefully it'll be around for a good while longer, as I intend to use it for some time to come.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 18 Mar 2012 13:35:23 GMT
Mummy says:
Thanks for a very helpful review, I think I'll give this one a try. My previous favourite creme powder was a shiseido formulation only available in New Zealand. I've been on the lookout for s suitable replacement and had wondered about this one. Like you I have a mix of dry/oily skin prone to flaking if I don't use the right product.
Thanks again.
Mum of Three

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Mar 2012 14:52:22 GMT
Otherkin says:
I'm glad you found my review helpful. I know Shiseido is a bit more upmarket than Max Factor, so I hope you find the Max Factor a worthy replacement. At the price you can't go too far wrong though!

Another really good, and slightly higher end, powder I've used recently is Jane Iredale PurePressed Foundation - definitely one the the best I've ever used. If you find the Max Factor isn't for you I'd definitely recommend the Jane Iredale, if you can justify the price.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.4 out of 5 stars (282 customer reviews)

£2.99 - £19.41