4.0 out of 5 stars Don't compare to COD!, 14 Oct 2009
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
Right never wrote one of these before but thought I had to add my two pence. Firstly I saw one review which said that CODMW2 was going top blow this out of the water, and yes this is true, however they are very different games!!! CODMW2 is an arcade game and very very good and I can't wait for it to come out and still play COD4 now with mates to keep me going until it does. However Flashpoint is not an arcade game but a simulator!! In real life you can get shot in the leg and bleed out from it and die, just as you can take three rounds to the chest and survive, life is strange like that, but I digress.

There are problems with this game don't get me wrong! in fact the comment of looking after three children with guns does ring true to me, however these are US marines we're talking about, so there is some realism to that!! I played the original flashpoint when it came out, loved it but didn't understand a thing about the controls, such as formations, line, vee, wedge, column, whats the difference? Now I actually serve in the military I understand, and can say they hold these formations better than some real soldiers I have worked with do!! The tactics are spot on, the radio traffic although different to British voice procedures are very good, and the fact it takes a good 10-15 seconds to set up a rocket launcher is again spot on!!

This game is not perfect, however it is with out a doubt the most realistic shooter I have played, yes you command a group of muppets but be aware of that and adjust your tactics accordingly! Yes you are shooting at little stick figures, but at 300 meters that's what people look like, and it is hard to hit your target. At the moment the pros outweigh the cons, and if the last flashpoint was anything to go by there will be plenty of add ons to keep you going.

In summary if you are expecting a CODMW2 clone, JOG ON. However if you want a tactical shooter which will challenge you (both your game playing ability and your mental state) then give it a go, if your not sure rent it and see what you think, however if this is your first Flashpoint game give it more that a couple of hours game time before you make your decision, I would recommend 8-10 hours if at that point you don't like it then it won't be for you.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 18 Oct 2009 02:15:46 BDT
B. Pullan says:
I have been considering buying OP:DR as my best mate and brother (whom is currently serving also) bought it and recommended it to me. I've read many reviews that gradually seem to slide between the fine line of believing OP:DR is another FPS like CoD, which it's clearly not. CoD is a fast paced arcade classic and never-ending, true. Therefore it's hard to realize the game that OP:DR actually IS. I enjoyed this review and found it much more helpful in deciding whether or not to buy it. I've been playing FPS games since Wolfenstein, DOOM, and Star Wars: Dark Forces... I want something to which this reviewer has described, not another typical shoot, straff, crouch, reload unrealistically, jump, shoot etc. game. I'd certainly give OP:DR a go, whether or not I like it, this has been one of the best reviews for this game. Thanks.

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Oct 2009 15:02:07 BDT
R. Williams says:
I have to add a bit more to this review, I stand by what I said in my original review, however since now completing the game I feel a little disappointed in a few ways. Firstly there is no option (that I can find) to create your own missions that there was on the original this is a big disappointment! Secondly again comparing to the original when you completed the game you had an option to have a free walk around the map, which I enjoyed especially if you went to the airport you could fly a host of aircraft round at your leisure, something I spent many an hour doing when feeling bored. Lastly I felt the game was far too short. I'm sure there will be add on missions, however currently with only 11 missions that didn't feel enough, and not once did you get to be a tank commander or a cobra pilot as you could in the original. One last point which annoys me personally is that you can't chose what weapons you take on a mission during the mission brief, I personally feel that simple ability can add a lot of longevity to a game! However I still stand by the fact it is very tactical and a lot more realistic than most games.

Posted on 12 Nov 2009 16:55:21 GMT
This is the most helpful review I've read about this game. I don't need to know whether it's better or worse than MW2, or whether it's anything like it. I want to know about THIS game on its own merits. The idea of striving for military realism intrigues me, and it's certainly interesting to hear some thoughts on that from someone who has actually served.

The first thing that grabbed my attention about Flashpoint 2 was a line in a review elsewhere, that said when an enemy is 100 yards away he's dangerously close. This review has added a lot of information to that, so thanks. It sounds like it's right up my street.

In reply to an earlier post on 12 Nov 2009 17:24:44 GMT
I agree. We need more reviews like this one, that actually describe the good and bad points of the game itself, rather than just saying it's not as good as another (quite different) game. I also agree on wanting something different from the usual run-and-shoot stuff. Those games have their place, but a change is good.

Posted on 26 Nov 2009 01:03:47 GMT
brilliant review. thank you. especially nice to have a review from someone who's in the millitary and knows what their talking about. thanks again.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.3 out of 5 stars (112 customer reviews)

29.99 12.49