4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic headphones!, 26 Aug. 2011
This review is from: Sony MDRXB700 Giant Extra Bass Headphones with Extra Large 50mm Driver Unit (Electronics)
I've had these headphones just over a year now and still love them!
I'm not exactly an audiophile but I am rather particular about the headphones and earphones I attach to my ears. I have varied tastes in music but I usually stick to classical, rock, r&b, pop and dance depending on my mood and environment. I also watch a lot of TV and movies with headphones.
I generally stick to Sennheiser and Shure because their `phones are consistently high quality in build and audio quality. Many of the mid to low-end Sony `phones I've had were too bass heavy and detail light making them great for gym but not much else. Having said that, I thought I'd give Sony another chance based on a friend's recommendation and these are my thoughts:

The first thing you notice about the XB700s is the size. These cans are massive! The band is a thick metal and the earpiece has thick soft padding. The padding is in fact VERY soft and comfortable. Ideal for me as I wear glasses and open headphones usually press on them and become uncomfortable after a while. The softness also does a good job dispersing the weight of the headphones as they are a little on the heavy side.

When I first listened to them I was less than impressed. They sounded muffled and bland. These headphones need to be `burned in' first so I connected them to my mp3 player overnight playing a mixture of music genres on medium volume. I tried them again the next day and WOW! They sound amazing. The bass is strong, but not overpowering and the detail in the audio is also very much there. I can pick out individual instruments in most of the tracks I play and they work well with all my main genres. I noticed that they sound a lot better when used without any equalisers and minimum audio enhancements. These headphones simply don't need them.

My main criticisms for these would be that they are heavy, the cord is short and they leak sound.
The weight really does factor in when you've been wearing them for an extended period of time. I didn't have much of an issue with this but I did note that my partner complained about neck strain after using them for some hours. I partially blame her rather bad sitting posture but there's no denying that the headphones only amplified the problem.
The cable is also quite short so if you plan on using these with your hi-fi make sure to get an extension cable (a high quality one or you'll lose audio quality).
The sound leakage on these is really quite bad. At medium volume, my partner could not only hear my music, but she could make out the vocals and instruments. This combined with the weight and stunted cord makes the XB700 bad for travelling and any environment where you need to be discreet about your volume.

Overall, these headphones offer brilliant audio quality and comfort to rival more expensive alternatives. Just beware that they are quite big and leak sound so only get these if you intend to use them indoors and aren't worried about disturbing anyone near you.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]