5.0 out of 5 stars Mike Leigh's finest, 18 Nov. 2008
This review is from: Naked [DVD] [1993] (DVD)
This Mike Leigh film is outstanding! I believe it was nominated for several awards at the Cannes film festival, and rightly so. David Thewlis plays Johnny, a complex anti-hero, which you love and loath in equal quantities. The dialogue is hilarious, witty, condescending and at times just plain mean.

The standout scene for me is when Johnny is invited into a security unit by a guard out of sympathy. Johnny then proceeds to destroy this poor man's hopes and dreams with a scathing philosophical monologue about our future as a human race. The supporting cast are equally good, in particular Greg Cruttwell as the nihilistic, vain and deeply shallow landlord. The music score is eerily compelling and haunting , and fits perfectly with the characters and scenery.

Unfortuntly Leigh hasn't made anything this dark or disturbing before or since. However he's still more consistent than most directors, and has become somewhat of a master at making thought provoking films.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 26 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 18 Nov 2008 11:57:20 GMT
Last edited by the author on 18 Nov 2008 11:59:11 GMT
Norcs says:
Oh goddamn you Hill, you're like bloody Razorlight!!

I try my hardest to ignore you, then you go and do something that I actually agree with / like!! Harumph!!

This is one of my top three films, pure brilliance. I still quote lines from it now. "The end of the world is nigh Bri" and "Archie, where's ma cheps?"

If you ask me, David Thewlis was very unlucky not to receive an Oscar nomination for this role and he is one of the finest actors of our time. If he was American, I bet he would have.

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Nov 2008 12:12:21 GMT
Sera69 says:
An outbreak of peace???? Quick! Someone throw an insult!!
(Leigh is one of them there National Treasures. Would love to see him working in Hollywood.)

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Nov 2008 12:18:50 GMT
Norcs says:
I tried with the Razorlight reference!!

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Nov 2008 15:38:15 GMT
R. M. HILL says:
Well I'm kind of surprised myself, you gave me the impression that you rejected anything remotely depressing. Well done you! It's in my top three films as well, how bizarre!

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Nov 2008 16:40:01 GMT
Norcs says:
Not if you knew what was on my ipod!!!!

Posted on 18 Nov 2008 16:53:00 GMT
No! This film is silly! End of the millenium pondering, it's up there with the millenium bug and betamax. A crap film, poor irritating cello score, bad dialogue, and making the hero a rapist to make it edgy? Not Mike Leigh's best film at all, Nuts in May knocks it into a cocked hat. Mr Hill.....

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Nov 2008 16:55:32 GMT
I have noticed this too. It's gone all 'pipes of peace' with Hill and Norcs playing a game muddy football during a Christmas ceasefire. Who is the axis of evil though?

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Nov 2008 17:29:46 GMT
Last edited by the author on 18 Nov 2008 17:30:49 GMT
R. M. HILL says:
The rudimentary way in which you attempt to write it off is you all over Ramsey, I don't think you fully understand the film. But I have neither the time or patience to help you join the dots. But I will say that Johnny's character is certainly ambiguous, saying he's the hero insinuates that as an audience we're rooting for him. This is most definitely not the case with most people I've spoken to about it, we only warm to Johnny when he makes us laugh, the rest of the time we're appalled by his actions and motives.

"making the hero a rapist to make it edgy"
C'mon, this is a weak attempt at discrediting the film. Are you really that cynical? Whenever a taboo is tackled during a film is this the kind of thing you mutter under your breath?

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Nov 2008 19:58:01 GMT
There are no taboos tackled in this cheap film. It only seemed relevant pre-millenium. I enjoyed the film when I first saw it, despite the mutilation of the cello by the untrained unthumbed cellist. Johnny is the hero of the film, and making him do dispicable acts is lazy form of ambiguity given some of the crushing and complex lines he delivers. I even enjoyed the samples that the Orb lifted for S.A.L.T. on their Orblivion album from your favourite scene with the security guard. This is probably the best bit but it means nothing when the world didn't blow up in 2000. The rest of the characters are one dimensional, including the mad welshman and his tick'n'chips routine. No, this film is poor and out of time now. The acting is really bad and the subject matter is no longer relevant. But that's only what I think. Most of Mike Leigh's films are like this, they start off ok, but descend into a dead end, take 'All or Nothing'. No, his peak was with 'Nuts in May', comedy and action, suspense and human drama all in one film.

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Nov 2008 13:19:53 GMT
R. M. HILL says:
"Johnny is the hero of the film"
This is merely your interpretation, having more screen time than the rest of the cast doesn't necessarily make you the hero, the protagonist, but not the hero. No taboos tackled? YOU see Johnny as the HERO, yet he's a rapist. Am I missing something?

I don't see your problem with the soundtrack, I think it suits the location and scenery perfectly. It's not supposed to be pleasant, films aren't always meant to be an enjoyable experience, but just as long as they are an experience. The mad welshman was actually scottish, one dimensional? To be fair he only had 5 mins screen time, and believe it or not these people do exist. It's a funny scene, you're nit picking Ramsey.

The acting is bad? I fail to see what you see, the acting is solid. Can you give me an example of what you consider great acting, just so I get an idea of your standards? The subject matter is no longer relevant? It was made in 1993, whether subject matter is relevant or not shouldn't deter from one's viewing pleasure. What a strange critisim...I guess you'll be missing out on a lot of films. I haven't seen 'Nuts in May' I imagine it's pretty light compard to this, correct?
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›