5.0 out of 5 stars a compassionate, thoughtful, life changing book and CD, 5 Sep 2011
This review is from: Mindfulness: A practical guide to finding peace in a frantic world (Paperback)
I would like to thank the authors for providing such a well researched practical and beneficial book and CD.

Before reading this book and listening to the CD and practicing the techniques found in it, I had never really considered what meditation was or that it may be of practical help in living a more content peaceful and balanced life.

I now know that meditation, and more especially this mindful secular type of meditation is a very useful practical tool for gaining a level of balance, control and calm in life I had thought unlikely if not impossible.

The CD is well constructed and free from any kind of religious overtones, except for the bell at the beginning and end of each exercise. The simple clear instructions are spoken in a kind calm manner, and are for the most part very easy to follow, though I found I needed slightly more time than was sometimes given.

The meditations are given in 8 stages. Each meditation lasts about 6-7 minutes and is practiced once or twice a day for 6 days. I found this quite difficult to fit in at first but soon found I was making the time and enjoying the practice more and more. I down loaded the CD onto my mobile and found this to be much more convenient and practical.

It seemed like quite a commitment 8 weeks of practice, but in all honestly it takes so little of your time once you get used to it that the whole program flew by.

There are several other mindfulness techniques you can choose to practice along with the meditations, which I also found to be very interesting and thought provoking. Once you begin to train yourself to be more mindful of simple every day things like eating and walking, you really begin to notice so much more of the world around you, and to feel more alive and engaged with yourself others and your environment.

I am in no doubt that using these meditations and other techniques has helped me considerably.

I am more relaxed, more calm, more thoughtful, more aware, and much less stressed and anxious.

I am not a hippy old school or new age I promise.

I wanted to find a practical way to gain some balance and peace in my life, and this book and CD has most definitely helped with that, and it is for that reason that I can whole heartedly recommend it to you.

[Add comment]