5 of 5 people found the following review helpful
Very suprised to say the least,
This review is from: Need for Speed: Shift 2 Unleashed (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
I never played Shift 1 so i cant compare it against that but i did hear that a lot of people found shift 1 to be a let down in terms of of it being a sim like experience. I do however play Race Pro and F1 2010 and enjoy them a lot and compare other games against these titles. When I bought Shift 2 i was very sceptical and didnt want to get too excited as i take my xbox racing seriously (lol) and like cars physics to be spot on. I have only played Shift 2 for around 8 hours or so in total but can honestly say im enjoying it a lot. The first thing that struck me was how the cars feel to drive, they are good! The physics feel above par and you can get a proper feel for what the cars are upto through corners. This is i must add with absolutely no assists 'on'. The first race you are chucked into has assists enabled and it felt all wrong. The only thing i do find at times is the dead zone in my MS steering wheel on the straights, the car does tend to wander if you dont keep an eye on it. That said it isnt unmanagable and not a problem on the twisties! For me the biggest factor in any racing game as already stated has to be the physics and everthing else takes a back seat. Due to this i really do rate this game and hope it can provide me with plenty of entertainment going forward.
Please note that i am using a MS Xbox wheel as i have heard bad reviews regarding this game when people are using certain wheels/pads and PC/PS3 versions.
- Good physics, not perfect but getting there!
- The career mode seems pretty cool, not done much of it but seems to be pretty varied and interesting, although a little confusing.
- The track selection is awesome, Donnington is a blast and love the Dubai circuit + many others.
- BATHURST, Mt PANORAMA
- Night/dusk racing is something new and looks good.
- Some circuits look brilliant graphics wise, some a little grainy.
- Dead zone with MS wheel on the straights is at times annoying, car wanders.
- Too many stats and confusing figures and options.
- Rear view mirrow when using bonnet view keeps dissapearing, think its a bug.
- Cars are too sensitive to contact, rubbing paint shouldnt end up with me facing a tyre wall every time.
- Look left and look right views are disorientating, dont like the way they pan around. Should be just a fixed side camera.
- Hard to work out at times how close cars are to you. Blind spots around the rear quarter.
- Online lobby takes a bit of getting used to, probably just me?
Eradicate the cons and this game would of been given a 5 star rating from me. Very good game none the less!!