4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product, but Toshiba docs could be better, 11 Mar. 2009
This review is from: Toshiba 1TB USB 3.5" External Desktop Hard Drive (Personal Computers)
I would have given this 5 stars except for Toshiba's appalling. User documentation. When I received the first drive from Amazon I searched for the User CD that was mentioned in several places in the Quick Start Drive. This was described as containing the PDF User Guide. It was not in the packaging. Being reluctant to plug anything in to my computer without reading a user guide I searched toshiba.co.uk for a relevant PDF file but could see nothing. When I emailed Amazon they also advised me to search this website, so having failed already, I requested a replacement hard drive. Amazon sent this without any fuss at all. This also arrived without a CD. Was about to give up on the drive and buy something else when I read an Amazon reviewer's description of having searched Toshiba Europe site for instructions for using with a Mac. When I also searched this site, with much difficulty in locating the correct menu, I was eventually able to find the PDF I needed. On the first page of the PDF is stated the instruction
"The User's Guide is uploaded on the drive itself. We recommend to backup the User's Guide onto a CD or your local drive, directly after the drive being installed."
Now why on earth was that statement not included in the Quick Start Guide? That would have saved both me and Amazon a great deal of fuss.
I particularly wanted to read the User's Guide before plugging in, because I expected to need to initially reformat the drive in order to use with my Vista NTFS file system. However the User Guide specifically says not to reformat the drive. I experimented in copying a folder to the drive - this was only about 170 MB and it took about 30 mins to copy. Not exactly acceptable. So I did a Quick Format after all to NTFS and copied the folder again, which took about 2 mins. I would advise anyone else to just ignore the manual if you use Vista. Surprisingly, when reformatting, the default file system value shown is NTFS, yet it clearly was not initially formatted this way.
I then did a full backup which skipped along perfectly well, and it appears to be otherwise a 5 star product. Absolutely silent and remaining only luke warm after several hours. Like others, I will also be covering up the bright blue light.
For anyone who would wish to see the User Guide before use the (almost) exact link (Amazon reviews do not accept web addresses) is
Zip File userman-20090129145307
Fingers crossed then that it remains this good for a long time. However, I will still keep one other external drive, as two are needed to ensure security of photo files that are no longer on my internal drives.
Toshiba 1TB USB 3.5" External Desktop Hard Drive

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 18 Mar 2009 16:49:43 GMT
Reading a user guide cover to cover before plugging in a portable hard disk is a little over the top isn't it? Kinda like looking for a manual before you'll buy and eat an apple..

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Mar 2009 10:36:27 GMT
Humbugcat says:
It would indeed be a touch unrealistic to read any manual for anything cover to cover, but with decades of a person's life and work stored on a computer, it might be considered sensible to want to read how to format to NTFS before plugging in a device. Other reviewers complain of losing 1,000's of photos. How much better to take very minor precautions before connecting and switching on any new device. Otherwise just don't complain if it all goes wrong.

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Apr 2009 23:33:57 BDT
Joe says:
Nothing you do regarding reformatting it or not will make it go wrong !

And if it does go wrong, thereby 'losing thousands of photos' well haven't these people heard of 'backups'? Expecting any device to run flawlessly for ever with the only copy of their data on it is plainly idiotic, if you want to keep those photos then back them up somewhere, as indeed you do !

As far as reading a manual, if it needed a manual to use it, I wouldn't have wanted to buy it ! Seems your problem was that you *did* read the manual :-)

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Apr 2009 12:33:32 BDT
M. Patel says:
please email manual as not able to find on site - mspatel@ntlworld.com
Yr comment refrs to:-

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Apr 2009 12:34:34 BDT
M. Patel says:
please email manual as per yr comment as unable to find - mspatel@ntlworld.com

In reply to an earlier post on 11 May 2009 18:14:48 BDT
Niallator says:
I left my 14 year old son to unpack our Toshiba 1TB in our front room. By the time he had pluged it into our PC in the back room the CD with the user manual had gone missing, we have turned our house up-side-down looking for it as he swears it was in the box to start with. Reading Humbugcat's first comment it appears that the CD may have not been there in the first place! I have also tried using the suggested link on the Toshiba site to get a look at the user manual as we are having problems getting the drive to work. Has anyone got any suggestions, our problem is that having connected to our PC running XP professional we can see the new drive through 'My Computer' but when we select it we get a message saying it needs formating, the only option is to select NTFS which I have done and selected OK. This was over 9 hours ago. How long should formating take? This is the second time I have tried this. The first time it took about 7 hours and then gave me a message the formating had failed. Any thoughts?

In reply to an earlier post on 16 May 2009 13:30:51 BDT
Humbugcat says:
It just took me a couple of minutes to reformat the drive. I could email you the manual if you give an email address. I emailed it to the previous poster in the end as Toshiba had removed the link for the manual that had been on their site. But to be honest the manual doesn't tell you anything useful in order to reformat. Maybe you have a faulty drive. Good luck.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›