5.0 out of 5 stars Oops, she's done it again!, 26 Aug 2000
This review is from: Music (Audio CD)
Here's a truly exceptional masterpiece! I've listened to it about a hundred times already and I really can't get enough of it. Ten brilliant songs, a nice new cool image (Muff Daddy, as seen in the MUSIC video with British comedian Ali G) and Madonna's set to rule our charts, dancefloors and hearts for quite some time again! Oops, she's done it again.
MUSIC - the first song and title track of the album, the first single as well. An incredibly groovy dancetrack with heavy beats and a kind of Daft Punk effect with the bass leaving and coming back in distinctive waves. This one has to be played loud and is the best way to start off.
IMPRESSIVE INSTANT - immediately you recognize the more spacy sound we're used to after RAY OF LIGHT. The electronical effects are pure genius and La Madonna's voice is massive! This song is about that incredible moment when you meet someone in a club and you know the person is right for you (love at first sight, to sound cheesy).
RUNAWAY LOVER - and we continue with a third dance track that completely gets under your skin. "It doesn't pay to be a runaway lover. It doesn't pay to give away what you lack. You'll never get your money back. You don't know where to drop your anger, make sure it doesn't land on me." The bass sounds like FLAT BEAT from Mr. Oizo (remember, that yellow doll from the Levis ads).
I DESERVE IT - Aaaaaaah. Madonna has indeed found true hapiness with British filmproducer Guy Ritchie and that's what this song is all about. "This guy was meant for me and I was meant for him" (this guy = this Guy, you get it?). Madonna in a recent interview: "I'm in love. Write that down 'cause it only took me 40 years to get it right". Nice slow song, no more no less.
AMAZING - "You took a pretty picture and you smashed it into bits". This again is an up tempo song, and what a song! I have to say the guitar riffs are very similar to SWIM from RAY OF LIGHT but we won't blame producer William Orbit for this one because the song is... well... amazing! Madonna's voice feels like she's litteraly surfing on the pianokeys.
NOBODY'S PERFECT - the best song on the album and one of her best songs ever! The voicecoder is put on her own organ and the result is amazing. This is French producer Mirwais at his best. On the end of each chorus the underlying beats make a kind of 'contretemps', it's brilliant. Never heard such excellent mixing and producing on one single track (the sounds Madonna uses are very 'extraordinaire').
DON'T TELL ME - this is the second best song on MUSIC. She's got guts to do what she does on this one 'cause she actually cuts the guitar riffs in pieces (everyone will think there's a problem with their CD-player) then she throws a real flat beat in, some spacy interludes and she's gone for another great rollercoaster in the world of groove and funk. Yeaaaaaaaah. "Tell me love isn't true, it's just something that we dooooooooo. Tell me everything or not but don't ever tell me to stop".
WHAT IT FEELS LIKE FOR A GIRL - Charlotte Gainsbourg (yes indeed the daughter of...) starts the song by saying girls can dress like boys but the opposite would be degrading 'cause according to men it's degrading to be a girl. "But, secretly, you'd love to know what it's like, wouldn't you?" she adds. I didn't like this song at first but it really grew on me. This is the next single but I'm afraid the commercial succes's not gonna be huge 'cause I don't think the public is ready for songs like these, but then again Madonna didn't become who she is by playing by the book. Great track!
PARADISE (NOT FOR ME) - the real Madonna freaks among us already know this song by heart 'cause you can find it back on Mirwais' solo album PRODUCTION as well. An incredibly emotional song, you can almost hear her cry. She even speaks in French: "Encore une fois je suis cassée" (which means "I'm broken once again" ) but the accent needs some more work (sorry, Maddy!). This is one hell of a song, the strings combined with the light trip-hop beat, followed by the heavy trance waves are pure emotion. "Into your eyes my face remains", every time I hear this part I can't breath anymore, it's that deep! Once again Madonna's playing with the voicecoder and brilliant spacy elements. Pure class!
GONE - this song could have been written 20 years ago. I can imagine someone just playing it with nothing but an old guitar. Of course the effects and intelligent production make it sound very 21st century like. What a way to end an album like this. "Nothing equals nothing". This time Madonna's voice is extremely clear and really touching. "I'll be gone before it happens".
Believe me, do yourself a favour, as soon as this album comes out (september 18th) buy it, buy it, buy it. Otherwise Madonna won't be able to afford college for Lourdes and Rocco... Not convinced, then buy it for the brilliance and genius of the MUSIC, for what it'll bring to your personal CD-collection, for what it'll bring to your life, to your heart and to your soul.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]