5.0 out of 5 stars Things to do in Coventry when you're dead (nice book, shame about the typos), 27 Mar 2012
This review is from: The Physics Of The Dead - A Supernatural Mystery Novel (Kindle Edition)
An excellent debut novel, I found this very hard to put down.

As far as theories about the afterlife go, this one is as good as any (there's only one way we're going to find out for sure!). If I had to choose between sitting on a cloud playing a harp for evermore, or being trapped in the centre of Coventry, desperately looking for a way out whilst trying not to lose my mind, I actually think I might choose the latter!

Speaking as a Midlander, I found it very refreshing to have a book set in a place like Coventry, rather than the more picturesque (sorry Coventry!) settings often chosen by authors.

Obviously the book was about so much more than just trying to stay sane and find a way out, but the afterlife idea provided an intriguing background to the more important subjects raised by the book. You'll just have to read it for yourself and find out what they are.

I don't like reviews that go into too much detail or give away too much of the plot, so I will just say that both the story and the characters are very well thought out, and the book is written in such a way that it keeps you desperate to know how, or even if, any of the dead protagonists are going to find what they are looking for.

My one criticism of this book is the huge number of typos, errors in grammar and punctuation, missing words, and duplications of text. Either the author wrote this book in a tearing hurry and didn't get it proof-read, or it has been very badly transcribed for Kindle. I found these errors very irritating, but fortunately the story itself carried me through to the (very satisfying) end.

I particularly enjoyed the author's postscript to his novel. Beside being very amusing, I found it very interesting and informative to find out exactly how someone goes about writing a book. This novel does not appear to have had the most structured or formal of 'births', but I think it is all the more impressive because of that, and it gives hope to all those of us who have ever toyed with the idea of writing a novel.

I am looking forward immensely to reading Luke Smitherd's next book.

[Add comment]