21 of 22 people found the following review helpful
Buy this now....,
This review is from: I Vigilante (Audio CD)
If you're reading this you'll already have an interest in buying this. I'm no rock journo but I'd like to make a few points about this wonderful album which is now tied as my album of the year alongside Anathema's 'We're Here Because We're Here'....
1. This is an album of epic scope and ambition - although many of the songs are lengthy they will captivate within a couple of listens.
2. This is a musical journey, and is superb at capturing many moods and atmopheres - it's bombastic, it's melancholic, it's euphoric, it's fargile, it's thunderous, it's poignant...it's thoughful and melodic.
3. In addition to the usual 'rock ' instrumentation it's features the additional joy of Daisy Chapman's beautiful piano and voice (on Of A Lifetime) and Charlotte Nicholls's haunting cello...tastefully placed within the flow of most of the songs.
4. CPB again pay close attention to the detail and craft of the SONG...you'll find no guitar wankery/shredding or uneccesary keyboard heroics..NOT A NOTE IS WASTED. The music is layered beautifully.
5. The main instrumental melody in Bastogne Blues featuring viola, cello and piano is so gorgeous it's worth the admission price alone.
6. This is approx 45 mins of music to become completely absorbed in...often cinematic in it's breadth
I urge you to buy this album ...CBP are most usually pigeonholed as post/progressive rock...to my ears they sound nowt like the post rock bands you'll regard as genre heavyweights and have nothing in common with the sometimes overblown excess of bands like Yes or Dream Theater (no offence meant)but could easily transfix fans of Pink Floyd or mid period Porcupine Tree or Anathema. Also catch a show when you get the chance...the band expands to 8 musicians in it's live form and create a wonderful sound and spectacle.
Press 'add to basket' now...you won't regret it