5.0 out of 5 stars Utterly stunning!, 20 May 2013
This review is from: Sony KDL42W653 42-inch WidescreenFreeview HD LED Smart TV (discontinued by manufacturer) (Electronics)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Length:: 6:19 Mins

♦ Brief ♦

Having previously owned a much older Sony LED TV, I was quite excited to see how well this would compare and if it was actually any better in quality.

One things for sure, it's very light for a TV it's size and has a good weight distribution making it easier to lift.

It has a lovely design, the TV width is nicely thin and has very little frame in the way of the screen.

This TV also boasts an X-Reality Pro picture processing engine with 200Hz Motionflow to deliver smooth and detailed images.

♦ Box Contents ♦

Television | AC adapter & power cable | Remote control | 2x AAA batteries |
Wall mount kit | TV stand & bolts | Instructions & other paperwork.

♦ Set-Up ♦

All you need is a Philips screwdriver (Unless you are mounting it onto the wall, in which you will also need a drill).

As my walls are extremely flimsy, I decided to go for the stand option which took barely 5 minutes (except for finding the darn screwdriver which took me 15 minutes).

- Stand Set-up -

Fixing the TV onto its stand is simplicity at its best:

1) Attach the two metal fixtures onto the stand and make sure they are screwed on securely.

2) Place the TV over the metal fixtures and insure they go into the slots. *Note: it's always best to get someone to help on this part to ensure an easy installation.

3) On the back of the TV there are two holes, one on each side, make sure the last two screws are inserted and securely tightened.

And that's it!

- Wall mount -

I'm really impressed with Sony making the stand double as a wall mount with the provided kit, this gives consumers a set-up choice right out of the box.

Those who are wanting to use this will be pleased to know it comes with a big piece of paper that shows you the exact distance of where the holes need to be drilled, this will certainly make the installation less of a hassle.

♦ TV Ports & Sockets ♦

HDMI x2 | Aerial | SCART(AV) | Component | LAN | Digital Out (Optical) | USB | Headphone | Power.

♦ Usability ♦

The remote control included is not only comfortable to hold, it's light and has a decent button layout.

As for the home interface, I absolutely love it, it runs very smoothly with no noticeable lag; the menu is also broken into convenient categories making navigation a breeze.

♦ Internet Connection ♦

Whilst this TV has a LAN port for wired connections, it also has a built-in WiFi adapter which gets a big like from me; a lot of TV's which are "WiFi Ready" require a WiFi USB dongle of the same brand as the TV and are normally very expensive, for example; some previous models from Sony needed such dongle with a hefty price-tag of 50+!

Connecting the TV to the internet via WiFi was effortless to do and the results are great, I can stream YouTube videos directly on my TV in HD quality! (As long as the video was rendered in HD of course).

♦ Picture Quality / Viewing Experience ♦

I am in complete awe of the picture quality, my previous Sony LED TV is around 2-3 years old and I honestly thought it was the bee's knees and that the quality couldn't get any better, but how wrong was I.

When it comes to HD content, the images are sharp, crisp & very smooth, it really brings life to what your watching. The TV also has many different scene modes to choose from such as 'Cinema', 'Cinema 24p', 'Music', 'Sports', 'Gaming' and more, this will adjust the picture & audio settings that will suit what your watching better.

The other main factor which really adds to the viewing experience is the frame of the TV, as mentioned before there's barely any frame taking space of the screen which makes it look like the images are going to flow off the edge.

- Unfortunately I can't comment on the Freeview quality as I don't have the appropriate cables/antenna installed. -

♦ Sound Quality ♦

The sound quality is actually rather good considering how thin this TV is, now it may not be the best and of course wont beat a home theatre, however it does deliver well and don't have any qualms about it.

♦ Final Opinion ♦

This TV definitely heats up the competition in the TV market, not only does it look amazing, it has great online features and is more than able to deliver stunning picture quality.

The more I use the TV, the more I love it!

- EDIT 20th May 2013 -

I've now included a video that shows the box contents, how to set the TV up via the stand & an overview of the TV's interface.

*Music used in the video were the following: 'Speed of Light' & 'No Regret' by Zircon.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 9 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 111-120 of 122 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on 25 Dec 2013 01:45:53 GMT
Artwelamazon says:
To be honest most people these days watch HD. If you are going to spend the money on a HD TV. then doesn't it make sense? Personally I only watch BBC, ITV and CH4 which are all on Freeview HD. I don't know how often you watch sd channels, but investing in a decent HD box, going with Virgin or getting something like Netflix might help.

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Dec 2013 10:33:37 GMT
I haven't got my TV yet and in spite of what you say about the SD picture I have decided not to cancel it. It seems that no matter how diligent one is in researching the best product to buy there are no perfect products - just my opinion (and experience!) I will be interested to see how I find the SD picture. Just for your reference however I am including here an extract from what I thought was quite an unbiased and technical review which I mentioned in my previous posting. " The Sony KDL42W653 is no slouch at handling standard-definition content too, delivering crisp up conversion without excessive ringing, as well as competent film cadence detection, though the TV's jaggies suppression for video-based material was not as effective as Samsung's or Panasonic's (to be fair, the difference was more marked in HQV Benchmark than in real-life content)." I guess in hindsight it does sound a bit like techno babble!!

Posted on 27 Dec 2013 23:55:48 GMT
I note you said " Connecting the TV to the internet via WiFi was effortless"
Could you please elaborate, I have been trying without success for days. My TV finds mine and all my neighbours routers but refuses to connect. My 3 laptops have no problem so I know the routers fine. I have all the right keys,codes etc and have done the factory reset. Sony service just have a guy reading from the i manual and emailing stock answers.

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Dec 2013 10:36:33 GMT
MyKeyReviews says:
What you see from 3:26 in the video is exactly how I connected, which it did so on the first try.

I'm sure my router is different, but from experience with my old router, I had to press a "WiFi" button to make it visible to other devices, does your router have a button like that?

Also, have you tried resetting the router?

If the TV can pick up other routers, then I can't see why the TV would be faulty, may be a signal problem between them both?

Other than this, I'm not too sure what else to suggest other than getting it through a wired connection via TP-Link PA411KIT AV500 500 Mbps Powerline Adapter - Twin Pack? :\

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Jan 2014 22:27:49 GMT
Cat.T says:
What an amazing review!I honestly have never seen one this good,and I wish all reviewers where as friendly and informative as yourself.I do have a question though,and I am hoping you can help.I am thinking of getting this TV (32 or 42,not even too sure of that yet!) for the bedroom,and will be watching catch up via wi fi,as that is the only way I can connect the TV to the outside world,also, I am a dinosaur and don't have a smart phone to use with it (mores the pity!)Anyway,if a smart TV does not have the app,does this mean I cannot watch that particular channel,for example,if a TV does not have the bbc iplayer app,does that mean I cannot watch iplayer?At the moment I feel like I am swimming in mud as far as sussing what a TV can/cannot do so please throw me a life ring!

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Jan 2014 23:48:15 GMT
Artwelamazon says:
Hi Aya. This TV comes with the iPlayer app all setup and ready to go. It also has Demand5, Youtube, Netflix, LoveFilm, Facebook, Twitter.

But ITV player and 4oD don't seem to be available yet *(Anybody correct me if I'm wrong, but I haven't found them).

You don't need a smartphone for this TV.

If you have a computer/laptop, you can wirelessly stream videos to the TV.
Just make sure that your wifi connection is quite fast and has a strong signal.

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Jan 2014 13:15:54 GMT
MyKeyReviews says:
Thank you very much for the compliments Aya!

I honestly would go for the 42" if you have the room for it, I have a 32" TV in my bedroom but would much prefer a 42" size in there instead, but alas, this need TV need to be downstairs. :P

As for your other questions, Artwelamazon answered them perfectly (much better than what I could have done), so thank you Artwelamazon. :)

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Mar 2014 22:45:03 GMT
RM/TM says:
Hi, Fellow Viner! Thanks for a very helpful review and video. Could you tell me how wide the stand is please? Just wondering if it would fit on an existing cabinet, or whether I'd need to get a new one....

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Mar 2014 01:13:29 GMT
Last edited by the author on 27 Mar 2014 01:14:29 GMT
MyKeyReviews says:
Hello, I certainly can *whips out tape-measure*, it is about 20cm(W) x 46.5cm(L) <- I think I labelled them the right way round, hope this helps! :)

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Mar 2014 13:11:30 GMT
RM/TM says:

Review Details

Item

Reviewer

MyKeyReviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)

Location: Hampshire, UK.